SC 3.0 Automatic Flats use in imaging?

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
SimmoW

SC 3.0 Automatic Flats use in imaging?

Post by SimmoW »

HI, I raised this question on the SC facebook page but don't recall seeing an answer - Can someone explain the new flats functionality, whether this could be effectively used to collect flats during an imaging run? Wishful thinking I know, but like the PA routine, this could be revolutionary!

Thanks

Simon
admin
Site Admin

Re: SC 3.0 Automatic Flats use in imaging?

Post by admin »

Hi SImon,

sorry - sometimes things seem to slip past on the facebook page without showing in the recent posts list. Anyway, best to ask here as everyone will be able to find the answer for future reference.

The best place to start with flats is the 'Capture Flat' option in the Capture menu - this guides you through capturing a master flat by averaging multiple individual flat frames. All you need to do is arrange for flat illumination and adjust the brightness. Once you press 'Start' the flat frames will be captured and averaged and then the new flat frame will automatically be selected and you are all set.

cheers,

Robin
astrnmr

Post by astrnmr »

Had a question about the flats. When I capture flats at 2xBin, it always shows a green light when the flats are in the proper range of exposure, however, at 1xBin, it always says less than 10% pixels outside range. When I attempt to adjust exposure, it does not change. Any suggestion as to why at 2xBin, it shows proper exposure range but at 1xBin it does not?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you bin 2x2 you are averaging pixels in blocks of 4. That averaging means that there is less variability in the pixel values, so it's easier to satisfy the recommendations of the flat creation tool.

Don't worry too much if you can't get a green light - just find the point somewhere in the middle where it's warning you about both too bright and too dark.

cheers,

Robin