Cannot save individual frames as .fits

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
Ss14843

Cannot save individual frames as .fits

Post by Ss14843 »

Hey guys,

I’m using an ASI294MCP for DSOs. I am able to save individual frames or entire sequences as .fits, no problem; however, if I select to save individual frames in live stacking, the individual frames are saved as .png, not .fits. Obviously that’s a problem when I go to stack in DSS. DSS is looking for RAW formats and the .png files are not debayered properly. I told DSS to use RGGB in the RAW/FITS setting but the resulting stack from DSS is mino. The settings used in Sharpcap are RAW16 and .fits for any individual frames. Am I missing something simple? Thanks so much,

Steve
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot save individual frames as .fits

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

set the preferred still file format in the settings to FITS and you should then get FITS saved for raw frames. See https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/2.9/#General%20Tab.

For existing files that have captured in PNG, you should be able to batch process them in PIPP to get debayered versions and then feed those to DSS.

cheers,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Steve

This might help you get something with your existing files viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254.

Another shameless plug - 1800+ views and 300+ downloads ;)

Dave
Ss14843

Post by Ss14843 »

Thanks for the replies. Robin, I do have that setting enabled and so if I capture a series or just a snapshot, the file is .fits. The issue only occurs when I live stack. If I select save individual frames, those frames within the stack are .png. If I click save as and save the raw, the stacked image is .fits. It’s only the individual frames from the live stack that are auto-saved that revert to .png. I will convert my existing as you suggested, but any other thoughts on why things are reverting to .png? Thanks!

Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

just to check, what version of SharpCap are you using? I tested on the very latest 3.2 beta, but maybe there is an issue with an older version?

cheers,

Robin
Ss14843

Post by Ss14843 »

Sorry for the delay Robibn. I was away for a bit. I'm using the most recent beta. What I noticed was that if the program was closed while the camera (ASI294MCP) and the usb3 external (Seagate 1TB) drive were attached, and Sharpcap reopened with no usb devices plugged in, not all settings were saved. For instance, while restarting Sharpcap, 8bit RAW was selected instead of 16bit RAW, and those images were then subsequently saved as .png, even if the FITS file preferences were selected for individual frame saves.

I think this problem may be related to an expected (in preferences before the last time Sharpcap closed), and actual file destination preference when Sharpcap relaunches without the expected drive/location. If the preferences for saving files are set for the destination to be "D:" and I launch Sharpcap without "D:" plugged in, everything seems to revert back to a combination of .png, 8bit, etc. (even if .fits is selected). So I think some default settings are loaded when the destination drive isn't present. Is this possible? Is it possible that we can save a set of preferences that can be loaded according to the equipment that is being used? I would be happy to test this further if you think it would be of help, or if you can't reproduce what I am describing. Thanks Robin!

Steve
Ss14843

Post by Ss14843 »

Hi Robin,

I know there is the capture profiles, but I was wondering if this will also save the global Sharpcap preferences as well.

Steve
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Steve

Have a look in File > SharpCap Settings, General tab to change the default format for Video and Still.

Dave