How to get beyond USB cable problems

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
oopfan

Re: How to get beyond USB cable problems

Post by oopfan »

Joe and Dave,

Note that wireless "n" is faster but only works well if you have a clear line-of-sight between the wireless router and the outdoors laptop. I highly recommend using wireless "g". It penetrates walls better.

Brian
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Thanks for pointing that out Brian. For me, reliability is king and that is why I favour wired networks.

Dave
je2000

Post by je2000 »

turfpit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:06 am
Can we set up this remote desktop via WiFi only?
Yes.

If the laptop outside can see your home wireless network then the PC inside will be able connect to the laptop via Remote Desktop. The laptop would need to be running a Professional (rather than Home) version of Windows. I have also managed remote control using TightVNC https://www.tightvnc.com/ server & client. Upgrading to Windows Professional is expensive but the TightVNC software is free.

it seems like it would be pretty easy to just connect both devices to my home network
The devil is in the detail. The connection depends on the distance from the laptop to your router (or wireless access point) and how many walls the signal has to travel through. Exterior walls (in the UK) are generally thicker than interior walls and may contain foil backed insulation panels. Also having something like a fridge directly between laptop and router will kill the wireless signal. Having a mixed wireless/wired network would also work. Another option to consider would be a Powerline (networking over mains) solution.

Dave
This is excellent. Thank you for the Remote Desktop suggestion. Laptop has Home, Desktop has Pro.

Laptop outside would have maybe 15 feet to the router which sits in front of a window. 5G router, desktop is 5G. Not sure about laptop. Though speed isn't crucial as stability.

The big question is...would the "Lost Guidestar" audio alert come through on on the Desktop?
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Laptop has Home, Desktop has Pro.
The Remote Desktop service has to be enabled on the machine at the telescope and requires a Windows Professional version. Looks like yours are the wrong way round. This suggests a TightVNC solution where the server component can be installed on the laptop at the scope. [note: I have used the TightVNC solution between a Raspberry Pi (not using SharpCap) and a Windows Pro desktop but the platforms are irrelevant].

Network speed is not an issue for this type of application as the only data being transferred between the server and client are keyboard and mouse commands. The screen updates from the machine at the scope would be the bigger data transfer.
would the "Lost Guidestar" audio alert come through on on the Desktop?
Hard to say - easiest is to set up the configuration and see if sound gets transferred.

There comes a time when the only way to progress is to try something and see what falls out. This type of configuration can be tested out during the daytime, in the house and without the scope.

Dave
Noah4x4

Post by Noah4x4 »

I spent almost three years perfecting this. I failed with USB. I failed with network extenders that work via the Earth wire of one's electrical circuits as they only work if the relevant rooms are all on the same ring main. Cat6 cable wasn't practical, and WiFi was flaky despite claims made by BT about the range of its Home Hub 6 router. Then I found the unexpected culprit....

What had frustrated me most was the eventual discovery that my house is lined with plasterboard insulated by metal foil. This acted almost like a Faraday Cage causing all manner of range limitations between router and devices. I suspect issues like this are common in modern timber framed highly insulated properties, but rarely mentioned in astronomy circles.

The solution for me was BT Wholehome MESH WiFi extenders. Even so, I had to use FIVE disks to embrace my router (in my study), send the signal across two other rooms, then to my observatory (man cave in garage) and telescope (in garden). The signal leapfrogs across the disks that form a MESH network and the system's APP helps you find the best locations for the disks to create this relay. It is easier if you have a less obstructed line of sight, and a smaller house, but the system's seems to be infinitely expandable, albeit not cheap.

This route now works flawlessly over the uncluttered 5Ghz channel. I have an Intel NUC at the scope running all of my software and control that from indoors using a second Intel NUC via Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop. All carried by the secondary 5Ghz network created by BT Whole Home disks.

One joy is that the higher graphics specification of my NUCs permit me to operate using end to end 4K UHD. Given my Atik Horizon and ASI294 cameras both output 16 megapixels that offers an incredible immersive experience with a large 4K UHD graphics display monitor, in a sort of Buck Rogers "chocks away" manner. I wrongly attributed all my early WiFi woes to trying to force so much screen data down the 2.4ghz channel of my router, when the real issue was the range limitations of my regular WiFi network caused by the degradation of signal through the construction/insulation of my house. 4K UHD laptops are silly money. A 4K UHD NUC is competitively reasonable.

I have no doubt WiFi/Remote Desktop is the most reliable solution, but there may be unforseen barriers as in my instance. The key thing is to holistically plan. The BT Wholehome APP is brilliant for this as it will quickly tell you where to put additional disks. I am sure somebody can recommend an APP to measure the range on one's regular router too.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Foil backed plasterboard is a wireless killer as are foil covered foam insulation panels. You did well to see this project through to completion.

Dave
sharpcapt

Post by sharpcapt »

turfpit wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:19 pm Joe

This is how the proposed remote desktop connection would look.

schematic.JPG

Dave
Hi
Thank you for this, although I am a Electronics Technician, I have never been very good at Networking.

I will try this using an unused Laptop with WIN10 Pro (I think it is pro).

I am just trying to simplify all my gear, as I will retire in a few years and one wants 'easy life'!

Thanks again
M

PS once it works, I will let you know - even if I cannot, you at least have given a thorough explanation!