Juipter question

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
rocksolid

Juipter question

Post by rocksolid »

I have a svbony SV105 camera and use sharpcap to record. I still can't seem to tone down the brightness of Jupiter even with a moon filter. Can somebody tell me how to set sharpcap for Jupiter? I am new to this so if somebody can give me simple instructions I would appreciate it. Thanks.
turfpit

Re: Juipter question

Post by turfpit »

See my post in this topic viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4698. Note I don't have a SV105 but if you start with a gain of 50%, then expect an exposure in the range 10-15ms.

Dave
rocksolid

Post by rocksolid »

Yeah, still a bit over my head. Any other simple settings suggestions?
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

I have reduced it to 2 settings plus the histogram all in a picture. It won't get any simpler than that. Try something then ask questions, post a capture settings file and a screen shot of a capture in progress.

Dave
rocksolid

Post by rocksolid »

Thanks for the help. I was able to get a pretty good shot of Jupiter. Any more tips? It's tough to see if I have Jupiter in focus on my laptop.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Any more tips?
To be better able to evaluate the result:
  • post the camera capture settings file
  • post the image obtained
It's tough to see if I have Jupiter in focus on my laptop.
Because of the atmospheric instability, 'perfect' focus can never be achieved in practise. Try to concentrate on one of the bands and choose the best position by moving either side of the focus point. Set the Zoom (on the toolbar) to 150%. This will give larger image to focus with. The attached is from a laptop screen.

focus-with-zoom.JPG
focus-with-zoom.JPG (53.91 KiB) Viewed 1571 times

The best aid for planetary/lunar focusing is a 'hands-off' motorised focuser. I have a JMI for my Celestron C8 - £200 well spent. There are other motorised options.

Dave
rocksolid

Post by rocksolid »

I can't post the picture because it's too large. I am a member of a facebook group called Planetary Imaging, Processing, and stacking Forum.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Reduce the Full Screen SharpCap window to something less than full screen. Use the Windows Snipping Tool to capture the relevant display and save a JPG. You have to get below 1MB to post on SharpCap, the image I posted was 54Kb.

Making progress with imaging requires stamina, persistence and creativity.
https://www.google.com/search?q=reduce+ ... nt=gws-wiz

Dave
rocksolid

Post by rocksolid »

js1.JPG
js1.JPG (10.06 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
rocksolid

Post by rocksolid »

this was after I processed the picture. I will post the before next. I don't have the way I had sharpcap set up