Jupiter not showing

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
r5wilk

Jupiter not showing

Post by r5wilk »

hi all help needed i have a logitech 720 iv removed the lens and fitted the adaptor now fitted to a 127 skywatcher tested in the day time images are exellent but at night on Jupeter just no image what am i doing wrong
Menno555

Re: Jupiter not showing

Post by Menno555 »

Hello

You made your first post as reaction to another posting, so I made it a new topic :)
As for your question. Did you adjust the exposure time during the night?

Menno
r5wilk

Post by r5wilk »

thanks for reply no im just getting a blank screen got jupiter in the eye piece removed and fitted the camera just a blank screen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the field of view of the camera is much smaller than the eyepiece, so even being a bit off center in the eyepiece could put the planet out of view of the camera. Also, you need to get the focus right (otherwise the planet would be a large, very faint, blob of light that you might not even notice).

It's usually best to start on the moon - it's big (so it doesn't matter if you are a bit off target) and bright (so you can see it even if you are a long way out of focus). That will help you get the feel of focusing and adjusting settings for your camera before trying Jupiter again.

cheers,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

got jupiter in the eye piece removed and fitted the camera just a blank screen
The swap will result in an optical shift and Jupiter will be way off the sensor, except you don't know in which direction.

One thing to try is to defocus the telescope and increase the exposure, this will make Jupiter very large concentric rings and you might have a chance of spotting an edge of the ring.

The more controlled way is to align your red dot finder (or finder scope) with the telescope on some land based object. Swap the eyepiece for the camera and using SharpCap to view, re-align the red dot finder (or finder scope) with the land based object. Then after you carry out the alignment process with your mount you have a better chance of landing on Jupiter.

This assumes you are using some sort of GOTO mount (probably alt/az) and have a red dot finder or finder scope fitted.

The moon is about at the present and would make an easier target starting out.

I was once where you are now - it took 3 nights of trying to get Saturn on the camera sensor using a Celestron 6SE scope.

Dave
r5wilk

Post by r5wilk »

thank all ill try all your recomendations
r5wilk

Post by r5wilk »

hi this might sound a bit silly but when i focus on the moon i get a perfect sharp image but whould the planets be at the same foucs ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, the planets will be in focus at exactly the same focus position as the moon.

cheers,

Robin