My early images Just starting

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
Cathy51

My early images Just starting

Post by Cathy51 »

Hi,
I am just starting out with imaging Saturn and Jupiter and just need to know what my expectations should be with my equipment. I have a Celestron 6SE and I shot these with my Celestron reducer/corrector, a ZWO ASI224, no filter (was not sure, which if any, I should be looking at getting). I captured the images using SharpCap, adjusted the wavelets in registax, then touched up in PS6. I have a slightly damaged right hand and find fine focusing difficult, however I have just acquired a JMI motofocus, which I am hoping will help with this. :) I do have a 2x Barlow, which I haven't tried yet... I wanted to try and get imaging without it under some control first :)

Any suggestions would be absolutely appreciated!!

Thanks! Cathy
Attachments
20_19_57_lapl5_ap17b_Drizzle15_convreg.jpg
20_19_57_lapl5_ap17b_Drizzle15_convreg.jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
21_20_30_lapl5_ap19_conv2.jpg
21_20_30_lapl5_ap19_conv2.jpg (54.05 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
turfpit

Re: My early images Just starting

Post by turfpit »

Cathy

Those are good images if you are just starting out - Saturn's rings & moons and Jupiter's Great Red Spot captured. It might be worth posting the Capture Settings files. Have you tried without the reducer?

I have a Celestron C8 and a JMI focuser. The hands-off focusing really does help and was worth the money. If you are considering filters then an IR 685nm pass filter can help with reducing the effects of 'seeing' for lunar/planetary.

The results with a 2x Barlow will depend mainly on how good the atmospheric conditions are.

Don't forget about lunar imaging - lots to learn (focusing, exposure/gain settings, processing) and practice there.

You might find this useful viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1156. There is also a Saturn version viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1157

Don't be in a rush to purchase new equipment - learn how to get the best out of what you already have.

Have a look at my posts in this viewtopic.php?t=211 to learn how to use the histogram to control the capture settings. It is for an ASI120MC but will be similar for your camera.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Cathy,

yes, as Dave says, great images for a first try :)

Removing the reducer will make everything about 50% bigger (which will help), but also fainter, meaning you will need to increase gain or exposure. Using the barlow will have the same effect again (even bigger, but even fainter). I also find focusing gets harder to judge at longer focal lengths, but that is part of the challenge :)

cheers,

Robin
nwoods6

Post by nwoods6 »

8-) Great photos.
turfpit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:33 am Cathy

Those are good images if you are just starting out - Saturn's rings & moons and Jupiter's Great Red Spot captured. It might be worth posting the Capture Settings files. Have you tried without the reducer?

I have a Celestron C8 and a JMI focuser. The hands-off focusing really does help and was worth the money. If you are considering filters then an IR 685nm pass filter can help with reducing the effects of 'seeing' for lunar/planetary.

The results with a 2x Barlow will depend mainly on how good the atmospheric conditions are.

Don't forget about lunar imaging - lots to learn (focusing, exposure/gain settings, processing) and practice there.

You might find this useful viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1156. There is also a Saturn version viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1157

Don't be in a rush to purchase new equipment - learn how to get the best out of what you already have.

Have a look at my posts in this viewtopic.php?t=211 to learn how to use the histogram to control the capture settings. It is for an ASI120MC but will be similar for your camera.

Dave