Expectation vs Reality

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
MitchJ

Expectation vs Reality

Post by MitchJ »

G'day All, Greetings from the Riverland of South Oz! New to astrophotography, & new to the forum! Been having great fun imaging Saturn & Jupiter, & while I am very happy with my results so far, I wonder how much better should I be able to get them. I am using a small 5 inch SC scope, & a SV 105 camera. My histograms dont seem to do what they are supposed to do, despite tutorials from here & elsewhere. Perhaps this is it with a small scope & a cheap camera. Still really happy anyway, & will probably (probably?) upgrade down the track..... Anyway, here are some pics so far. (Hope they work...)
MitchJ

Re: Expectation vs Reality

Post by MitchJ »

Hmmm.....didnt work.....
MitchJ

Post by MitchJ »

Got it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

welcome to the forums! Those are nice images for a first try with basic equipment.

Your larger saturn image looks like it might take a little more sharpening (and perhaps a spot of colour balance adjustment). The Jupiter image looks a little noisy - perhaps capturing and stacking more frames might help there?

Sometimes the amount of black around the planet can dominate the histogram to make it hard to see the rest - try checking the 'logarithmic' box in the histogram area to swap the vertical scale to logarithmic (which can help). Alternatively use the selection area tool to select a box around the planet - then the histogram only measures that box, so will exclude most of the black background.

cheers,

Robin
MitchJ

Post by MitchJ »

Thankyou Robin, your suggestions make sense, I'll give them a go! Must be human nature - I freaked out when, just 6 months ago, a mate showed me Saturns rings for the first time from my backyard, now I've had a camera for a few weeks, & I'm wondering if the pics I'm taking could be better..... all good though, love it! Cheers!