Question on telescope focus when using sharpcap

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
Moonstruck

Question on telescope focus when using sharpcap

Post by Moonstruck »

I have a Celestron CPC 800 HD EDGE telescope with an alt/az mount and go-to capability, and use sharpcap, and a ZWO ASI 224 MC camera when taking videos of the planets. I have a question on telescope focus when using sharpcap. Is it possible to focus the image using sharpcap from my laptop? Do I need to install an auxiliary focuser on my mount first?

Also general question. My alt/az mount is supposed to follow the planets as they move, but sometimes the planets drift off the computer screen anyway when using sharpcap. Does it harm the quality of the video to center the planet on the screen once in a while by moving the telescope?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Question on telescope focus when using sharpcap

Post by admin »

Hi,

so yes, in order to focus from within SharpCap you would need to buy a motorized focuser to connect to your telescope - this would typically also connect back to your computer via USB and you would install an ASCOM driver to allow SharpCap to control the focuser. There are lots of options available to choose from, just make sure that the one you choose has the right mounting kit for your SCT. For instance, one of the motorized focusers I have is a Pegasus Astro one, and they have an SCT model : https://pegasusastro.com/focus-controll ... -zero-sct/

Re-centering your mount while capturing will obviously blur the frames that are captured during the move, but that's not really an issue - they will likely get ignored during stacking anyway by AS!2 or Registax or whatever stacking application you use.

cheers,

Robin
Moonstruck

Re: Question on telescope focus when using sharpcap

Post by Moonstruck »

Thanks Robin - I appreciate the info.