Altering Colors of Saturn while Imaging

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
sandconp

Altering Colors of Saturn while Imaging

Post by sandconp »

I noticed that when I am imaging especially Saturn during the video capture, I get a orange yellowish color. Is there any way in Sharpcap to change the colors while I am doing the video recording before I run the post processing with AS!3 and Registax? I don't seem to have this problem when imaging Jupiter during the same night. We have had some smokey skies due to the fires out West. When I image Saturn it's about at 30 degrees.

I have been taking the FIT file out of AS!3 and running it thru Registax 6 and then into PixInsight for color calibration and the colors are off IE too much Gray and Blue. I am using a ZWO 178MC OSC camera with a built in IR/CUT filter.
Saturn.jpg
Saturn.jpg (7.59 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
saturn.cc.jpg
saturn.cc.jpg (13.87 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Altering Colors of Saturn while Imaging

Post by admin »

Hi,

your camera has colour balance adjustment controls, which will appear in the controls on the right hand side. These allow you to adjust the brightness of the red and blue channels to match the green (see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#ZWO%20 ... 20Controls).

Moving these settings away from their default values (50,50) will allow you to get a more natural colour on screen, but may have a slight negative effect on the final image quality, as you are no longer saving the data straight off of the camera sensor, instead you are tweaking it using the colour balance before saving.

cheers,

Robin
sandconp

Re: Altering Colors of Saturn while Imaging

Post by sandconp »

Thanks Robin. I generally don't mess with those controls but I will give it a try.