Fits Header missing Filter Wheel dats

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
Gstarky1@Gmail.com

Fits Header missing Filter Wheel dats

Post by Gstarky1@Gmail.com »

I used Sharpcap 3.0 to image the conjunction and got lots of good data from an ASI1600mm with a filter wheel, positions at default 1,2,3,4,5. Each capture run, files set to fits, 16 bit, capture rate at 8 images per second, started the capture, captured about 6 seconds each of 1/4000, 2000, 500, 125, 30th, 8th, and 1/2. During each run, at each exposure setting, I used each filter wheel setting for 6 seconds, and then changed to the next exposure time and repeated. The fits headers appear to have recorded all the usual data, except no filter wheel setting. This will make separating the data into filter wheel groups difficult. Any ideas on a solution? Also, capture was on continuous, so the numbers of captures with each filter position is variable. Ideas?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Fits Header missing Filter Wheel dats

Post by admin »

Hi,

The best recommendation I can give is to update SharpCap 3.2, which has the functionality that you are looking for – as every frame is captured the filter name is recorded into the fits headers when the frame is saved to file. I must admit that I've never tested it with changing the filter name while capturing rather than between captures, but the code looks like it should work correctly in that case.

Cheers, Robin

PS.you may wish to consider changing your forum login username so that it doesn't reveal your email address. Sadly the people who send junk email will regularly scan every webpage they can find to look for email addresses to add to their mailing lists.
rdenniston2112

Post by rdenniston2112 »

Please allow me to piggyback on this question. I use a CPC w/Hyperstar and an L-Pro filter (no filter wheel). How do I set up Sharp Caps (V. 3.2) to show the filter in the FITS data. This will help in Pixinsight.

Thanks
Robert
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Robert,

you should just need to configure SharpCap to talk to your filter wheel, and ensure that it is connected in the software so that you can see the selected filter in the control area on the right-hand side.

There does seem to be a bit of an odd bug that I can't quite work out yet where the header being added in the first captured frame safe to fits file, but does seem to be present in the second and subsequent frames. I'll have to investigate that further.

Cheers, Robin
rdenniston2112

Post by rdenniston2112 »

The filter fits inside the Hyperstar. There is no filterwheel
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, in that case in the hardware setting page, you can set up SharpCap to use something called a 'Manual Filter Wheel'. Once you've done that, click the properties button to the right to give names to each of the filters that you might use. This control will then appear in the control section on the right-hand side and you can check the 'Connected' checkbox just like you do for an automatic filter wheel. As you change the filter in use, click on the appropriate button in the filter wheel area on the right-hand side and you are basically telling SharpCap which filter you are using, so that it can include it in the fits headers or even in the file name.

Cheers, Robin
rdenniston2112

Post by rdenniston2112 »

Perfect, Thanks