Black Video while playing AVI files from Sharpcap

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
sandconp

Re: Black Video while playing AVI files from Sharpcap

Post by sandconp »

Robin,

I knew it was something stupid that I had did. Can you tell me exactly where I switched the histogram setting and where did you find that setting in the camera settings text file I sent you?

Is raw a setting that I can use in SharpCap? I assumed that since I have a One Shot color that I should use RGB? If I used raw, how do I bring out the colors? I use AS!2 to stack and PixInsight for post processing.

Conrad
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

I also had one more question.

Which is better to use AVI or SER?

I really never understood the difference.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

See https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/573161-ser-or-avi/ post #1 and post #4. Post #4 is by Chris Garry, author of PIPP.

Also viewtopic.php?f=7&t=211 for some planetary capture settings. Have a look in the Tutorials sub forum for some HOWTOs on Planetary processing.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Conrad,

you'd adjusted the black/grey/white points in the little histogram on the right-hand side by sliding dashed lines around or pressing auto stretch button. See https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#!2!Min ... %20Stretch

This is recorded in the capture settings file as the values for Display Black Point, Display Midtone Point and Display White Point - by default these should be 0.0, 0.5 and 1.0.

The trick is to remember to press the reset button on the mini histogram to put the settings back to default before adjusting the exposure.

Cheers, Robin
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

Robin,

I now see the problem dang it. I don't know why I messed with this setting in the first place.

I have since 'reset' the mini histogram.

Any reason why I would ever adjust this?

Thanks so much !

Also

Is raw a setting that I can use in SharpCap? I assumed that since I have a One Shot color that I should use RGB? If I used raw, how do I bring out the colors? I use AS!2 to stack and PixInsight for post processing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

basically the best bet is to choose the RAW8 option instead of RGB when capturing planetary, lunar or solar videos. That records the raw pixel values from each pixel on the sensor without processing them into colour, making the capture files three times smaller. The process of converting such a raw file into colour is called debayering - various processing applications will handle it for you, including AutoStakkert and PiPP. If you saved SER format then the file contains all the information the processing application needs to automatically detect this and apply the right settings.

The mini histogram stretch is more often used for people doing deep sky or EAA – it's a great way to pull up the faint stuff into visibility while checking framing/focus etc.

Cheers, Robin