Live Stack With Planetary Images

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
RonAM

Re: Live Stack With Planetary Images

Post by RonAM »

Understood. Best frames captured fast during calm moments in between moments of turbulence is the way to do it. Tonight with Jupiter so low to the horizon where turbulence is strong it was especially important.

This was my 1st go at this using SharpCap with a 60-sec quick capture.

I used the 24RGB format to get AVI video as I don’t know what program processes SER files, otherwise I’d have used 16-bit RAW setting for the ZWO ASI294MC-pro camera. Scope is Starmaster 14.5” hybrid truss dob with skycommander goto and tracking. I placed the camera on one side of my Siebert black knight 2” binoviewer and his observatory class 36mm eyepiece on the other side. The binoviewer was set up for 176x visual using the 2x OCA coupler for this binoviewer. The effect of this optical train is like a 4x Barlow.

In SharpCap I tried to gat the exposure and gain set so the histogram filled the range during capture.

The AVI video was processed with Registax 6 to make this jpeg for posting but also a 26MB TIFF.

Cheers and Clear Skies,

Ron
Attachments
071F268D-1CD9-4425-942C-84CC1739425F.jpeg
071F268D-1CD9-4425-942C-84CC1739425F.jpeg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ron
used the 24RGB format to get AVI video as I don’t know what program processes SER files
Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1156. The document describes a fairly common way to process SER files; Autostakkert for stacking and Registax for wavelet sharpening.

Dave
RonAM

Post by RonAM »

Thanks- I do have Autostakkert & will give that a go next time.

Cheers and Clear Skies,

Ron
RonAM

Post by RonAM »

Jupiter AVI: Autostakkert for align/stack, Registax 6 Wavelets
Jupiter AVI: Autostakkert for align/stack, Registax 6 Wavelets
Jupiter 7-24-2020 Starmaster-ZWO-Autostakkert-Registax DPP.JPG (240.88 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Thanks again Dave for the post of the techniques using Autostakkert and Registax. I reprocessed the AVI file to obtain this image, which is a better result to my eyes.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Thanks Ron, looks like you got better detail in the bands.

I am at 53° N and Jupiter currently Jupiter at its highest is only 14°. A recent effort viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2857. This was my best ever effort back in 2017 when the planet was much higher in the sky. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=211. Both were with a ZWO ASI120MC so the settings should be similar for your camera.

Dave
RonAM

Post by RonAM »

Very nice images in the links, and thanks again for sharing the information on Autostakkert + Registax - A test today shows easy processing of the 16-bit RAW SER test file. I will forever benefit from the advice on Registax wavelet processing parameters and steps.

I’m at 42.8-deg latitude so a bit better than your 51-deg.

One year I was on a work trip to MX city - what a difference- both latitude and elevation.

Makes AZ/NM/FL look attractive for relocation some day.

Cheers & Clear Skies

Ron