Plate solving?

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
devonshire

Plate solving?

Post by devonshire » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 pm

I'll be upgrading my guide camera shortly, and this will free up my GPCAM2 IMX224 for planetary work w/Sharpcap, as opposed to BYN + D5300, which I've been using on DSO's.

One of the things I use on every DSO session with BYN is the plate solving integration w/Astrotortilla. Very nice, both for finding and framing the targets after CdC gets me close.

Although I currently use Sharpcap only for PA, I do understand that it can plate-solve, and I hope to get that working as part of controlling the IMX224 in its planetary imaging role (Imaging scope: EDT refractor, 102/621mm, assume barlowed for planetary).

BUT... what I'm not clear on is how best to use that for framing, when my target is a planet. Pick a nearby star? Advice?

Thanks!

- Bob

admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate solving?

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Hi,

That might be tricky because when you are imaging the planets your field of view tends to be very small, which means there may not be enough stars for the plate solving algorithm to work well.

It will turn to be worth a try though... Just tell your planetarium software to go to the planet, then use the plate solver and re-sync button in the telescope controls in SharpCap – first making sure you can see 20 or so stars in the frame which will properly need you to set high gain in a few seconds of exposure at least. As long as you've got the data installed on AstroTortilla for small fields of view and enough stars are visible then the plate solving should locate where the telescope is pointing and then correct the pointing to bring the planet in to view. I must admit though that I've never tried this with a planetary camera/scope setup.

Cheers, Robin

devonshire

Post by devonshire » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks, Robin!

Well, it is all about FOV, however one centers, isn't it? :-)

Which indexes did you have in mind for this? :
"As long as you've got the data installed on AstroTortilla for small fields of view..."

- Bob

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi,

When you install AstroTortilla, it asks you about installing the index files for different fields of view – the smaller the field of view you want to cope with the more data needs to be downloaded and installed. If you want to add more index files for smaller scales then I think you can just run the installer again.

Cheers, Robin

BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Here's an excellent Astrotortilla installation and setup guide. It's a few years old but still relevant.
https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tu ... lving.html