[SOLVED] Sensor Analysis Takes forever

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
ChristopherRose

[SOLVED] Sensor Analysis Takes forever

Post by ChristopherRose »

Altair Astro 183M V2 and 80mm EDT Huion Flat Screen, Dell Latitude 6110.

The sensor analysis seems to be in three phases. Light, Dark and then Light again. This last process was running for nearly four hours. My previous run indicated that the light source was maybe too bright and it was reaching the lowest exposure setting of 1.9ms. This was after around 2,400 frames and an hour. By adding a T Shirt to the end of the scope reduced the list output and I restarted the process. Again on the third phase and four thousand frames later the minimum of 5.7ms was being assessed and it seemed to be hung just taking more and more frames. I did notice it was only using one memory buffer out of twenty seven and I'm wondering if yesterdays release would fix this?

I'm not actually on my PC at the moment but I will take a look at the logs.

Regards

Chris
dts350z

Re: Sensor Analysis Takes forever

Post by dts350z »

I had the same here, right down to the t-shirt.

I got through the first two parts, then it said it was too bright, and refused to go further. I started over with a 2nd layer of tshirt, and it never finished.

This was 3.1.5186. zwo asi-1600mc-cooled.
Attachments
Log_2018-05-21T19_24_18-3760.log
log file
(259.54 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for the log file - that's most helpful.

What is strange about it is that it gets to the end of the dark measurement and tries to turn up the exposure to get a brighter image and for some reason gets stuck with an exposure of 250ms. I will have to try to work out what is going on there as it looks like the core of the problem.

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, OK, the 250ms repeated over and over is the code waiting for you to uncover the sensor so it can continue with the final set of measurements. It looks like at one point the sensor was uncovered as the brightness went up and the exposure dropped, but then it went back up to 250ms again. I think you may then have pressed 'proceed' with the sensor still covered, which led to SharpCap trying very high exposure values to get a decent brightness level and it all takes forever.

In digging into this I have found one case where the code could really get stuck in a loop trying the wrong exposure and that will be fixed in the next version. I will also make it impossible to proceed when asked to uncover the sensor if the exposure is at the 250ms maximum (ie it will not let you proceed if you haven't uncovered the sensor). Finally, some sort of bail out if the exposure goes above 10s is probably in order too.

cheers,

Robin
ChristopherRose

Post by ChristopherRose »

Hi Robin

I downloaded the latest build and one other thing I chose a smaller area at the beginning of the process and guess what it worked, all done in about
forty five minutes. I have a question : Is it worth doing this for each of my NarrowBand filters?

Regards

Chris

www.digitalastroimager.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, the analysis measures the characteristics of the sensor on the camera which are independent of the filter (or telescope/barlow/reducer for that matter) that you connect it to.

Using a narrowband filter will change the apparent brightness of the sky background (make it much darker) - the smart histogram feature will automatically take this into account as it measures the sky background brightness in order to perform its calculations. You should redo that sky background brightness measurement for each filter - at least until you get a good idea of the typical brightnesses you see for each one, anyway.

cheers,

Robin
dts350z

Post by dts350z »

RE the area size, I keep looking from somewhere in the UI where it tells you the size (X&Y) you have selected.

Is it there and I just don't see it?

If not, asking the user to "pick at least 100 pixels per side" isn't very clear (well it's clear, it's just not super obvious and easy to execute on),
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

dts350z wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:07 am RE the area size, I keep looking from somewhere in the UI where it tells you the size (X&Y) you have selected.

Is it there and I just don't see it?

If not, asking the user to "pick at least 100 pixels per side" isn't very clear (well it's clear, it's just not super obvious and easy to execute on),
Good point! Perhaps that should be somewhere!

Robin
dts350z

Post by dts350z »

Yeah or you could have the boundary turn green when it's a good size.

Red = too small
Yellow = too big

I guess might be less than helpful through a red filter or night mode though.