[SOLVED] ShrpCap installation 3.1.5153.0 fails

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
msm50

[SOLVED] ShrpCap installation 3.1.5153.0 fails

Post by msm50 »

Well i uninstalled the version 2.9 and 3.0 I ran a cleanse with Wise registry cleaner and a scan with antivirus. I did download the version 3.1.5153.0. exe (PRO version) and double click to start the installation. A moment pops up the hourglass of Windows but then nothing happens, no message nothing. The same thing happens with the version 3.1.5157.0. exe. The operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate notebook Sony VAIO Ram 4GB. Any ideas?
Thank you .
(Sorry for my english,i am in Italy)
admin
Site Admin

Re: ShrpCap installation 3.1.5153.0 fails

Post by admin »

Hi,

sorry to hear you are having problems.

With weird errors like this that really shouldn't happen the first thought is always 'Antivirus Software'. Windows Defender is rarely a problem (I use it during development and check each build with it before uploading it), but other AV software has caused many strange issues, often stopping things from working without any alert showing :( So, first I would suggest a test with temporarily disabling AV software.

Another thing to try is to see if any install log files are being created in the temp folder when you run the installer. The easiest way to spot the right files is to delete everything that you can in the temp directory, then run the install, then see if any new log files have appeared. Please post any SharpCap install log files that do get created.

Finally, there's no need to uninstall 2.9 or 3.0 before installing 3.1... All three versions can be installed side-by-side on the same computer without any issues. (In fact I have 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 3.0 and 3.1 on my machine and all work if I want to use them)

hope this helps,

Robin
msm50

Post by msm50 »

Hello, I can not find any log files in windows / temp I tried to reinstate
version 2.9 and also 3.0 but with the same result. Also the sharcap pre requisites installer fail. What are the pre requisites for sharcap? It's strange because versions 2.9 and 3.0 had installed them long ago without problems. Do I have to reinstall Windows? Thanks for every suggestion. Best regards
M.Macchi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's very weird that you cannot install 2.9 any more as that has not changed for a very long time (over a year). This make me suspect that something odd is happening on your PC. Please do check antivirus as a potential cause of this problem as almost every time there is a problem that sounds impossible it turns out to be caused by antivirus!

Note that installation log files will be found in

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Temp
not in C:\Windows\Temp, so it may be worth checking again for log files.

cheers,

Robin
msm50

Post by msm50 »

Good morning, even if I did not understand where the problem was, I solved by creating a new administrator account and installing the latest release from it.
Grateful, however, for the suggestions.
M.M.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Robin

Create new user - problem goes away (there was another one of these the other day). This is symptomatic of a corrupt profile. Having worked in the computing industry for many year supporting large environments (think figures such as 65,000 desktops and 4,500 servers), the corrupt profile is (sadly) not uncommon. It seemed to become more common with the arrival of Windows 7.

The problem usually manifests itself by 'strange' events which cannot be accounted for. Of course in a Windows Domain, renaming the affected profile and logging in again is an easy fix as the user data is located on servers. For the home user this is not as simple as data has to be copied or moved from the old profile to the new profile.

Also mentioned in this post is a registry cleaner. IMHO and experience, this type of utility is generally bad news.

With SharpCap installation problems I would be thinking of troubleshooting along the lines of (easiest first):
  • Create new user, install Sharpcap from new user.
  • If the above fails, remove antivirus software and retry the install.

It is important that people understand that disabling AV is not the same as removing the software.

The 2 steps (particularly the first one) above would be a systematic and quick way to try to resolve installation issues.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dave, yes, I agree entirely with these steps - I need to have a page for troubleshooting install issues linked in the forum rule text (like the page for usb issues).

cheers,

Robin
BillCol

Re: [SOLVED] ShrpCap installation 3.1.5153.0 fails

Post by BillCol »

I am getting an error code when trying to install 3.1 on my Win 7 laptop. I have emptied the log files, disabled my virus software and windows defender, but the same error code pops up. I have SharpCap Pro on my Windows 8 and 10 Laptops and it performs great. I am wondering if my Win 7 is corrupted or something? I may try upgrading the laptop from 7 to 8.1 and see if that makes a difference. Clear Skies. Stellar Haven Observatory.
admin
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] ShrpCap installation 3.1.5153.0 fails

Post by admin »

Hi,

please post a screenshot showing the error. Also check that you have Windows 7 *Service Pack 1*, since SharpCap 3.1 and above requires Win7SP1 rather than the original version of Win7. If you do not have SP1 then you must go back to SC 3.0. If you do have SP1, you should really consider using either SC3.2 or 4.0 instead of 3.1

cheers,

Robin