[FIXED 3.1.5157] Unable to Start SharpCap

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
WilliamS

[FIXED 3.1.5157] Unable to Start SharpCap

Post by WilliamS »

Hello

The latest version (3.1.5142.0) will not run. I get a message to run with Ctrl and Shift held down and get the following:
Stage 1: Complete, Stage 2: Complete, Stage 3: True, Stage 4: True, Stage 5: True, Full trust?: True.
I then get
First launch attempt failed with error : Attempt by method 'SharpCap.launcher.Program.Main()' to access method 'SharpCap.Program.Main()' failed.
followed by
Second launch attempt failed with error : The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception.
and then
SharpCap could not launch correctly. Please re-run the program while holding Control+Shift down and note the results, then report the problem at http://forums.sharpcap.co.uk.

I am using Windows 10. An earlier version of 3.1 (5049.0) would also not run. I had to repair it before I could uninstall it to install the latest version. Version 2.9 ran OK. I uninstalled it because I thought it might be causing a problem with 3.1 but it made no difference. The latest 3.1 runs OK on another laptop so I don't think it is an antivirus problem.
Thanks for your help.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Unable to Start SharpCap

Post by admin »

Thanks for the report - there is discussion of a similar problem here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=706 - and I am still looking for the solution at the moment.

Some quick web searches suggest that the 'module type initializer' error might be down to a corrupted install of the .NET framework - to test for this, please can you download and run the .NET Framework verification tool from Microsoft:

Download Link: https://msdnshared.blob.core.windows.ne ... er_new.zip
More Info: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebn ... ers-guide/

Unzip and run the tool and choose to verify .NET Framework 4.5.2 from the list of options and see if that reports any problems. It might also be worth running the verification for any *newer* versions - i.e 4.6, 4.7, etc. If any show problems it would be a good idea to try to repair them which can be downloaded from : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30135

If no problems show up, it may be worth trying to install the very latest version (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=56116) and see if that helps.

thanks,

Robin
WilliamS

Post by WilliamS »

Hello Robin

Thank you for the suggestions.

The .NET Framework verifications all reported that everything was OK for all versions 4.5.2 to 4.7.1. Installing the latest version did not succeed because it reported that it or a later version was already installed.

I downloaded and installed SharpCap build 3.0.4017 as you suggested in the other post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=706.

It runs OK.

Is it worth me trying any of the running from the command line suggestions?

I did look if the 3.1 application file was security blocked and it isn't.

Best regards
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for trying out those things - at least I can cross them off of the possibility list.

If you have some time, please try 3.1.5149 with the 'Control+Shift' trick and report any further detail in the last message shown - I have tried to make it include information about the underlying cause of the problem (if there is an underlying cause available).

I still wonder about antivirus software causing these problems - it would be interesting to know what AV or other security software you are using - just maybe a picture will start to show if more people report the same problem and happen to have the same AV installed.

thanks,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Robin

The last time we encountered a bunch of strange happenings it turned out that the common factor amongst the sufferers was an AVAST update. Not saying it is AVAST but as you say finding out some common factor amongst those with issues would be enlightening. I can't believe that .NET is falling apart.

Dave
WilliamS

Post by WilliamS »

Hello

I have now downloaded the latest version of SharpCap 3.1 to a third laptop. I does not run even if I install it with my antivirus (Kaspersky) shutdown (but still installed). With this latest version (3.1.5149) I get the same true messages followed by the attached reports

So laptop 1 won't run, laptop 2 will run and laptop 3 won't run.

Laptops 1 and 3 are Windows 10 Pro 32 bit. Laptop 2 is Windows 10 Home 64 bit. All have Kaspersky Total Security, Malwarebytes and Classic Shell.

Best regards
Msg 1.png
Msg 1.png (16.29 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
Msg 2.png
Msg 2.png (17.33 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
WilliamS

Post by WilliamS »

Hello

Probably irrelevant but both the laptops that won't run the program used to be Vista before I installed Windows 10 Pro.

Best regards
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

William

I notice you have both Malwarebytes and Kaspersky installed. Potentially you have 2 real time scanners side-by-side.

I use Malwarebytes Premium and would not have any other AV installed (except Windows Defender) as well. On my capture laptops, it is Windows Defender only.

However, YMMV.

Dave
WilliamS

Post by WilliamS »

Hello

Just a minor clarification re. Malwarebytes. I've got the free version so I run scans manually with it.

Best regards
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

That is ok then as Malwarebytes will not be running a real time component.

The other point is that for Kaspersky, being 'shut down' is not the same as not being there. In your situation, I would uninstall on one machine as a test.

Dave