[FIXED 3.1.5157] Unable to Start SharpCap

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
WilliamS

Re: Unable to Start SharpCap

Post by WilliamS »

Hello

As suggested I uninstalled Kaspersky Total Security. SharpCap 3.1 started OK. This was the same for both the problem laptops (one with 3.1.5142.0 and one with 3.1.5149).

Note that I did not need to uninstall and reinstall either version of 3.1 they both worked OK.

Having reinstalled Kaspersky Total Security SharpCap 3.1 will not run. There is a facility in Kaspersky to specify trusted applications. I specified SharpCap 3.1 but it made no difference. It still would not start.

So, if I want to use SharpCap and keep Kaspersky on these machines I will need to stick to 3.0.4017.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think Dave has a good point, although it's also interesting that the 32 bit versions of Windows have the issue and not the 64 bit version (may be coincidence).

I have also done some research on the error messages that you posted screenshots of and have at least one idea to test - I will send you a build to try in the next few days to see if this has any effect.

thanks,

Robin
WilliamS

Post by WilliamS »

Hello Robin

Thanks. I'll look forward to trying a new build if you think it's worth a try.

Best regards
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

just tested with a fresh 32 bit Win10 machine (which worked) and then installed Kapersky and SharpCap stopped working. I turned off everything I could find in Kapersky and it still didn't work (nothing flagged in Kapersky though). Uninstall Kapersky and all is good again. Lovely...

On the plus side I got to test out the idea I had and it does work around the issue for me - ie I can run my new build of SharpCap with Kapersky installed. I will send a PM to you with the link to the new build in it so you can test too. I do also need to check that there are no unforseen consequences of the change I have had to make.

cheers,

Robin
WilliamS

Post by WilliamS »

Hello Robin

That will be great. Thank you.

Best regards
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you look in your private messages, you should see the link to the test build I sent you.

cheers,

Robin