[SOLVED] Install of .5132 fails

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
galljj

[SOLVED] Install of .5132 fails

Post by galljj »

Robin

I use sneaker-net to get new SC versions onto my imaging computer. Download on workhorse PC, dump onto a USB drive, and install on the imaging computer directly from the USB drive. Always has worked. When I tried loadiing .532, it failed, saying something like resources necessary to complete this task are not available on this pc.

For last night, no big deal. The program had erased the older version of SC, but I still had the .exe file on the USB drive. So a simple reinstall of an earlier version got ma back working.

A couple of other minor points that I think you should know about:

1. The total exposure time for a live stack is often inconsistent with the number of frames times the exposure length. Sometimes by a very small amount - but at other times by a lot.

2. When I activate the auto color balance in the live stack histogram, the display properties histogram goes into balance ( R/B/G overlay one another). But the live stack histogram is usually widely out of sync.

Neither is a real issue - just somewhat mystifying.

Best

john
admin
Site Admin

Re: Install of .5132 fails

Post by admin »

Hi,

can you grab a screenshot of the message if you try again - I suspect that it's looking for some extra things to install that usually get downloaded from the internet if they are needed, but the exact message would help be sure. Favourite candidates would be

* Microsoft .Net Framework 4.52 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=42642
* Microsoft Visual C++ Redist version 10.0 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... px?id=8328

If you install those two manually then you may find the install works. I don't include these inside the main installer because many (most?) computers will already have them and they would increase the size a lot.

As to the other two points, I seem to recall fixing something related to point 1) for frame grabbers in 3.1, so maybe that is fixed now. 2) is by design - the live stack histogram shows the state of the stack, not the adjustments made to it with the level stretch or the colour adjust.

cheers,

Robin
galljj

Post by galljj »

Robin: Here are screen captures of 3 successive steps. The proper order is SC problem, step 2 and step 3. Ill send the log file in the next message

john
sc problem.PNG
sc problem.PNG (532.1 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
step 2.PNG
step 2.PNG (505.21 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
step 3.PNG
step 3.PNG (538.11 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
galljj

Post by galljj »

And the log file:
SharpCap_3.1_20180412112953.log
(10.64 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
galljj

Post by galljj »

FWIW, I have been running and installing 3.1.5115 from the USB drive w/o any issues such as this recent one.

Lastly, concerning the timing issue, i'm not using a frame grabber camera, but rather a ZWO ASI294.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, Ok, it looks like part of the previous version installed has gone missing so it can't uninstall the previous version properly. Do you know what the previous version you had was? If you do the easiest solution may be to try to reinstall (or repair) that previous, then uninstall it, then install the latest. If that doesn't work I will look into other options.

thanks,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you send a screenshot of the total time issue the next time you see it.

thanks,

Robin
galljj

Post by galljj »

Robin:

More on the failed install.

I've tried the most recent new ones, and they did not install. Ended with the same message. When I tried to browse to the postinstall.msi, it said that was the wrong one - or some such warning.

I can install and run .5115.

I can uninstall .5115

But when I try to repair .5115, I get an error message as shown in the attached .png. I've also included the log file

I hope this helps

john
uninstall 3.xxx115.PNG
uninstall 3.xxx115.PNG (19.51 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
repair fail SharpCap_3.1_20180418135913.log
(6.99 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, that error is slightly different - looks like the repair is trying to repair *everything* that the installer installs, and so it is trying to fetch the .NET framework 4.52 from the microsoft web site to do the repair - were you offline at the time you tried this?

I think overall perhaps the best approach would be for me to find the correct postinstall.msi and send it to you - let me go look for it.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is the zipped msi you seem to be missing from 5115.
PostInstall.zip
(108.22 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Let's hope it then doesn't want to have the main installer as that's a lot bigger!

cheers,

Robin