[FIXED] Change Live Histogram not available during stacking

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
donboy

Re: Change Live Histogram not available during stacking

Post by donboy »

Hi Robin,

My setup has been consistent and usually with the first object after opening SC the live stack histo is immediately responsive to change. I lose immediate responsiveness when I go to another object and start stacking. Issue started with v 3.1.5098

Setup:
v. 3.1.5098 & v.3.1.5108
Windows10 Pro v.1709 (was v.1703 before these latest updates were installed)
SSD and 10gb memory
6 core Xenon duocore processor (12cpus)
buffers report 3 or 4 of 45
ASI294Pro
USB3
Raw16
Bin1
Default or Sigma Kappa doesn't seem to make a difference
gain 300
15sec to 60sec exposure
mostly without darks or flats but have used darks and flats and doesn't seem to change the issue

I have a feeling that the Windows 10 update to v.1709 maybe the culprit.

Don
Dale R.

Post by Dale R. »

I can add to my other post:
Laptop..I7-770hq@2.80 GHZ
Ram: 16gb
Vid card NVidia GTX1050
win10 is at1709 like Don's

gain 350-375..darks and no darks..4sec-20sec.

I was using ZWO224 camera.RGB24 bin 1 when it happened, but changing to all the other options did not help. I can't get it to error on the demo deepsky camera.

If the camera settings are being saved after a "complete" uninstall I wonder if some error is being added back into to any re-installs???
The only way I got it to work, no restarting worked, no reinstalling the same version, just reverting back to 5098. After that ver. starting acting up , I did not try again. next time out i will and if it happens agin, I will try the ver. you suggest.

Strange i had no problems for 30 or so stacked DSO's and then boom,it pops up. The only thing I can add for some reason when I started I got an update notice that I did not download. I ignored."ask again later" or whatever the option is.i thought I was updated with 5108.....
roelb

Post by roelb »

I don't think that the latest Windows update "1709" may be a source of the issue,
because I had the problem also with the old Windows "1703" version.
Roel
Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 - Celestron Nexstar 6 SE - StarSense
ZWO ASI533MC-Pro -- ZWO ASI533MM-Pro
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

please can people try build 3.1.5115.

If you have suffered from this problem then please turn on the new option 'Record extra information in the log for troubleshooting' in the general settings before you start stacking. Please also show the log window (from the help menu) and keep an eye on it.

With this new option set there will be a lot of logging when you adjust the live stack histogram - you should see something like

Code: Select all

Received image update request
update already running, setting request flag and ignoring
Re-displaying frame due to image update request
Image update requested while previous was in progress, re-running
FrameProcessor update request received at the ImageProvider - passing on ImageUpdateEvent
Re-displaying frame due to image update request
Every time you move one of the level bars you will get a 'Received image update request' line - many will happen as you drag. Not all of these will result in the display being updated, since often they arrive so quickly that SharpCap is still busy working on the last one when the next arrives. When this happens SharpCap sets a reminder to itself to re-update when the current update is over. At the end, after every movement of the sliders there should be a line that ends with the 'Re-displaying frame due to image update request' message.

If the histogram stops responding it is most likely that the last 're-displaying' message will also stop showing. If that happens, please send me the full log and I can hopefully work out where the request is getting lost or stuck from what other messages are showing. To be honest, if you have the problem happen to you while you have the extra logging turned on then please send me the whole log *and* the time that the problem happened (so that I know where in the log to look!).

Now, having said all that I did find one place where - just maybe - under some odd circumstances the code could get stuck not passing on the requests until you shut down and re-started SharpCap. I fixed that. What I found could not have had an effect that lasted over a restart of SharpCap though.

On the subject of the camera settings being saved over re-install, this is supposed to happen. SharpCap 3.1 auto-saves settings when you close down the camera in a hidden capture profile and re-loads them when you open the same camera. Capture profiles are not deleted on uninstall or upgrades, so this profile is still used after an uninstall and reinstall. You can turn this feature off in the SharpCap settings if it annoys you.

I don't think the settings being restored will bring the problem back, but there are certain camera settings that could have an impact on whether a problem like this shows or not -these are

* Capture Area
* Colour Space
* Exposure Length
* Dark Subtraction
* Flat Correction

I think that other settings are unlikely to have any impact.

Please also check that the Status listed in the 'Information' box in the live stacking area shows as 'Waiting for Next Frame' for most of the time. In the 'waiting' status, SharpCap is able to respond to histogram adjustments. In other states it may not be able to respond due to changes being made to the stack to process the current frame. If the status shows 'Calculating Alignment' most of the time - or some other status the problem is lack of CPU speed or too much CPU in use by other processes or too fast a frame rate.

hope this helps,

Robin
Dale R.

Post by Dale R. »

Will do as requested..now waiting for clears skies of course :lol:

Thanks for the great program and constant improvements....not common out there these days!
roelb

Post by roelb »

I've done daily tests with SC version 3.1.515.0.
On 3 different PC's with the ASI290MM & ASI224MC cameras and the DSO Test Camera.
So far the problem has not occurred.
I'll keep testing on a daily base.
Roel
Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 - Celestron Nexstar 6 SE - StarSense
ZWO ASI533MC-Pro -- ZWO ASI533MM-Pro
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Roel,

thanks for the update - let's hope the change I made did fix the issue :)

cheers,

Robin
Dale R.

Post by Dale R. »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you...we have this thing called BLIZZARDS in the US, so I have been stuck in the house. I will not go out in the cold until next year.

I have the latest version and it works fine again.. Thank YOU!!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's excellent news. I have an update to this already written as part of SharpCap 3.2 that will make the update more responsive, so that should help too.

thanks,

Robin