[FIXED] Sharpcap no longer starts

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
jimthompson

[FIXED] Sharpcap no longer starts

Post by jimthompson »

I have been using Sharpcap with no issues up until a few months ago. Then suddenly I get an error every time I try to start the application: "Sharpcap has stopped working". I don't know what has changed on my laptop that has caused Sharpcap to stop working. I am using Windows version 8.1. I have tried re-installing Sharpcap versions 3.0 and 3.1 but the problem still exists. The problem details listed in the Windows error message are below. I tried updating my .NET to the latest but that did not help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: SharpCap.exe
Problem Signature 02: 3.1.5092.0
Problem Signature 03: 5aac2fb0
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 4.7.2558.0
Problem Signature 06: 59d412f7
Problem Signature 07: 6e0
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: System.MethodAccessException
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: 1318
Additional Information 4: 13181ae637ac2592fac0ca2dd662cdcc

Thanks,

Jim Thompson
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap no longer starts

Post by admin »

Hi Jim,

not seen this one before - do SharpCap 3.0 or 2.9 still work (could you install the latest version of each and see if they are OK)?

We have also had some issues recently with anti-virus software - it might be worth turning yours off temporarily to see if that makes any difference.

cheers,

Robin
jimthompson

Post by jimthompson »

Hi Robin,

I tried installing v3.0 and v2.9 like you suggested. v2.9 worked okay but v3.0 did not, giving me the same error message as for v3.1. I disabled my antivirus and tried again but it did not change anything. Using v2.9 for now won't do for me as the ASI cameras I have are quite new and don't show up in the camera list when I try to use them with v2.9.

Thanks,

Jim Thompson
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Jim

What AV are you using? Turning it off is not necessarily the same as it not being there.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for testing the different versions - so far I can think of three further things to test based on your results

1) Try repairing the .NET Framework 4.5.2 - download the installer from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=42642 and run it and choose repair. Both 3.0 and 3.1 depend on this version where 2.9 depends on an older version which might explain the difference

2) Try build 3.0.4017 - this was the last build of 3.0 before I made some changes to the install and launch of the application that could be related to your problems. If this build works but later builds of 3.0 (try 3.0.4057 which is the first build after all the changes) then we have pinpointed the cause

3) Try running a build that has problems from the command line with the command

Code: Select all

"c:\Program Files (x86)\SharpCap 3.1\SharpCap.exe" /dump
If the application crashes this should create a crash dump file on your desktop called 'SharpCap.dmp' - send that to me and I can investigate what went wrong.

cheers,

Robin

PS. When SharpCap stopped working, did it just work one day and not the next with the same version of SharpCap installed, or did you do an update and the new version didn't work?
jimthompson

Post by jimthompson »

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your continued assistance working this bug out. My response to your suggestions:

1. I had already tried updating/fixing my .NET installation before I made my original post, so that did not fix the problem.
2. Build 3.0.4017 ran successfully but 3.0.4057 did not. Also, during the install of 3.0.4057 my antivirus (Avast) did not like the install program and tried to scan it before letting it run. I did not have that problem on 3.0.4017.
3. I tried running the latest 3.1 build from the command line, but no dump file gets created. Just the usual Windows error message like in my first post above.
4. My problems began when I installed a version of 3.1 to get updated ASI camera drivers. It didn't work but the older install of 3.0 I had at the time did. When I updated my 3.0 to get the ASI camera drivers I needed, 3.0 stopped working as well.

Best Regards,

Jim T.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jim,

please try the latest 3.1 build (3.1.5132) and see if that helps. If it still doesn't work then please run it from the command line with the option '/debuglaunch' added - ie

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SharpCap 3.1\SharpCap.exe" /debuglaunch
With that option added it will display a number of messages as it starts up - if you keep a note of the ones that appear (and particularly the last one before it crashes) that will help me pin down the location of the problem.

thanks,

Robin
jimthompson

Post by jimthompson »

Hi Robin,

Program still does not start running v3.1.5132. When I execute from the command line as you requested I get the following:

Stage 1: complete
Stage 2: complete
Stage 3: true
Stage 4: true
Stage 5: true
crash when moving to Stage 6

Cheers,

Jim T.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Jim, here is another version to try - not sure if it will fix the problem but should get more info to focus in on the issue - https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 3.1.5136.0

It's a bit odd, looking possibly like some weird permissions issue with the Microsoft .NET framework. I wonder if something has applied weird security settings on your PC without you knowing it?

One more thing to check - go find the installed SharpCap.exe and right click on it and select properties. If you see a 'Security' block at the bottom (shown below for a .doc file) then check 'unblock' and press apply. I think it's unlikely but this sort of thing could be the cause of the issues you are seeing.

cheers,

Robin
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (18.35 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jim,

please try the latest version 3.1.5157 - a very similar issue has been tracked down to an issue when Kapersky AV is installed and is now resolved. Maybe this will fix for you too.

cheers,

Robin