A few issues in latest version

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Astrogate

Re: A few issues in latest version

Post by Astrogate »

Thank you Dave for the link
Cheers,

Chris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@don - good info - thanks - not much changed between 3085 and 3092, so I can look to see what might be the cause.

@Chris - ideally both RAW16 and RAW8 measurements (I have code that can estimate the RAW8 from the RAW16, but the measurement is better). Send the files to me via email or attachments here.

cheers,

Robin
Astrogate

Post by Astrogate »

Hi Robin

I also did an 8 bit sensor analysis test for you along with the 16 bit. I am trying to attach both the 16 bit raw fits for the noisy background issue during every refresh in live stacking and also the sensor analysis data test as .json. I am getting an error message for both extensions as invalid. Here is my email address so if you send me an email I can get your email address and send them to you please.

Cheers,

Chris
denturist89@sympatico.ca
Attachments
Stack_16bits_6frames_360s.CameraSettings.txt
(968 Bytes) Downloaded 123 times
Stack_16bits_5frames_300s.CameraSettings.txt
(968 Bytes) Downloaded 124 times
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

admin wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:43 pm Hi,

the mono files just need to be debayered to get colour - DXO obviously does this automatically for some file formats, maybe it is possible to do it manually for TIFF (or maybe there are some flags I can set in the TIFF to make it work like AltairCapture does?). As a workaround, you can debayer your files in PIPP - always a good fallback. See viewtopic.php?t=254

Please retry the Altair license claim and send me a screenshot of the message. The most likely cause for what you describe is that the free license for that particular camera has already been claimed, but there are some other possibilities.

cheers,

Robin
I have pipp so will try that. The raw files i usually edit in DXO are NEF from my Nikon. I assume it would not be possible have this or another common raw format output added?
Shame DXO doesn't support fits. Ill do a search and see what raw formats its advanced editing will recognize.

Can i find the pro licence details for my 290M anywhere and use those again? First registered with that about 3 months ago. Thanks Rob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Rob,

the 'common' RAW format for cameras is DNG, but that looked pretty complex when I had a look at the docs (things like camera colour profiles etc). There seem to be lots of libraries to read these files but I didn't find many capable of writing them.

You should be able to recover your license key easily (as long as you can remember the email you used) - go to https://store.astrosharp.co.uk/Recovery and enter your email address and your license will be sent to you.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, thanks to Chris providing some test images and settings I now have an understanding of the issue where the live stack image would look noisier after each new frame arrived.

When the frame from the camera was processed through the live stacking, the frame sent to display mistakenly had no exposure value attached to it. This caused the display code to fall back into using a 'nearest neighbour' algorithm when scaling and displaying the image on screen, which leads to a noisier image. The nearest neighbour algorithm is supposed only to be used for high speed imaging (>10fps) where fast display is critical.

When you adjusted the live stack histogram stretch or colour balance, or the display histogram stretch, exactly the same image data is sent for display, but this code path was correctly setting the exposure time on the frame being sent to display, meaning that the display code was using the slower but nicer looking bilinear algorithm for scaling and display - this gives a much less noisy image, especially when zoomed out from a high resolution image.

I am just testing a new build that fixes this issue and will release it shortly.

cheers,

Robin
saguaro

Post by saguaro »

Robin,

Thank you for your quick work on fixing bugs and releasing new builds. I really enjoy SharpCap and I appreciate your efforts to improve it! The Live stacking feature just gets better and better!

-Robin
Astrogate

Post by Astrogate »

admin wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:59 pm Ok, thanks to Chris providing some test images and settings I now have an understanding of the issue where the live stack image would look noisier after each new frame arrived.

When the frame from the camera was processed through the live stacking, the frame sent to display mistakenly had no exposure value attached to it. This caused the display code to fall back into using a 'nearest neighbour' algorithm when scaling and displaying the image on screen, which leads to a noisier image. The nearest neighbour algorithm is supposed only to be used for high speed imaging (>10fps) where fast display is critical.

When you adjusted the live stack histogram stretch or colour balance, or the display histogram stretch, exactly the same image data is sent for display, but this code path was correctly setting the exposure time on the frame being sent to display, meaning that the display code was using the slower but nicer looking bilinear algorithm for scaling and display - this gives a much less noisy image, especially when zoomed out from a high resolution image.

I am just testing a new build that fixes this issue and will release it shortly.

cheers,

Robin
Hi Robin

I tested the latest version and it seems now to be working fine with no noise showing upon every refresh in live stacking. Thank you for correcting this for us all.

Cheers,

Chris A