Sharpcap slows down/becomes somewhat unresponsive

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
nm1213

Sharpcap slows down/becomes somewhat unresponsive

Post by nm1213 »

Hello,

I've successfully been using Sharpcap to live stack for some time now. However, recently there are times when Sharpcap becomes unresponsive in the middle of an imaging session. I can see that it's struggling to capture frames, and the GUI lags badly. Closing and restarting the app (using end process in task manager) does not solve the problem. The restarted app continues to be laggy. Other apps run normally, and CPU usage is very low. I did not capture RAM usage during the slowdown, but will do so next time it happens.

This setup was working flawlessly previously. The two things I've changed are updating Windows 10 to the latest creators update. I've also installed both versions of sharpcap v3.0 and v3.1 on the same machine. I thought this was a problem specific to 3.1, however the problem also manifests in 3.0. I've also encountered something odd where I see the problem in 3.0, close the app, launch 3.1, and the problem is still there. Again, other programs work fine, and system CPU usage is minimal.

The hardware in question is a Dell laptop, i5, 256gb SSD, 8gb RAM, livestacking 10-15sec exposures from an ASI 385 (1900x1080) camera.

I'll collect further logs and mem usage screenshots for you. However, is there anything else that you want me to gather or report on?

Thanks!

N.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap slows down/becomes somewhat unresponsive

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, logs would be helpful, also a screenshot or two is also good. Does it lag all the time or is it just when using particular features like live stacking? For instance if it only lags with live stack running then that hints at different places to investigate than if it also lags when just previewing the camera or when no camera is open.

Also a nice test to rule out the cause being the camera hardware is to save a single frame from the camera as FITS or PNG and then select the 'Test Camera 1 (Deep Sky)' camera and browse for your saved from from the 'Image' testing control on the right - that should let you do things like run live stacking on that test image without needing your ZWO camera to be attached. If it's still laggy then we can rule out the camera, if it works fine with the test camera then maybe the ZWO camera is somehow causing issues.

cheers,

Robin