Installation

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Greg Roberts

Installation

Post by Greg Roberts »

I had no trouble installing on Windows 10 but cannot seem to install V9 on Windows XP 32 bit machines - I tried two laptops and get the same error messages. I am almost certainly doing something wrong but cannot see the trees for the forest. I first found I had to install dot.net V4.0 and got past that "unspecified" error. I now seem to be failing when it comes to reading the file for Visual C ++. I downloaded the version it was looking for - 2013 - but crashes when it comes to it and says I must have Service Pack 1 or later installed - I have Service Pack 3 installed so for the moment I am torpedoed! Its not too serious as I could use my windows 10 laptop but it means I have to get a USB unit that has composite/S video at input and goes into the laptop USB. On the windows XP machine I am using a Satellite video card that allows composite or S video input. Unfortunately the card does not fit in the laptop. Any suggestions anyone - please.... Many thanks
Greg Roberts

Re: Installation

Post by Greg Roberts »

As usual - it looks like it pays to read everything on the webpage - it would appear that V7 is the last one to support Windows XP :-((((((( --- okay Ill go and download V7 and see what happens :-)))))
Greg Roberts

Post by Greg Roberts »

My final posting on this subject - V7 installs okay on windows XP 32 bit but big disappointment - it seems I am restricted to a video size of 320 x 240 pixels which is far too low for my purpose so it looks like the MINTRON camera is not much use in this program. Pity as I had high expectations as I have no trouble getting 640 x480 in other video capture programs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have had reports of people successfully using 2.9 with Windows XP, but it may require some fancy footwork like installing the C++ redist manually first.

The list of resolutions that you get for something like a frame grabber is determined by the driver of the grabber, not by SharpCap, although there are some things you can do that might help

* Try changing the FPS or Colour space first - that might give you access to more resolutions
* Goto 'Video Capture Pin' in the options menu and see if there are any settings there that you can alter - it's possible that changing options here may enable higher resolutions.

thanks,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Workaround for WinXP:

Download and install VC++ redist (x86) from this page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784
Install SharpCap 2.9 on a Win7/8/10 PC
Copy the SharpCap 2.9 directory from Program Files on the Win7/8/10 PC to the WinXP PC.

You should then be able to run SharpCap 2.9 on the XP PC.

cheers,

Robin
Greg Roberts

Post by Greg Roberts »

Many thanks Robin - I will give it a try.