How to report a Crash

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Rocaillou

Crash with Live stack

Post by Rocaillou »

HI,

I just purchased SharpCap, using ASI 6200, and I always get a crash while i wanted to use dithering (therefore using Live Stacking).

My laptop is a HP ENVY notebook, Intel core i7-7500u CPU @ 2.70 GHz 2.90 Ghz with 16,0 Go of RAM memory on 64 bits system, Windows 10

I read now that I need to copy past the screen info which I unfortunately didn't do (will do next time but not before end of August), but I thought giving it a try as maybe an existing know problem as the ASI camera is a new one from ZWO ( ASI 6200) full frame and quite consuming ressources.

Thank you
Cheers
Francois
admin
Site Admin

Re: How to report a Crash

Post by admin »

Hi,

two quick suggestions for that model of camera:

1) Make sure 12V power is always connected - some of these larger sensor cameras are unreliable on USB power even when not using the cooler
2) Use the 64 bit version of SharpCap rather than the 32 bit - live stacking large frames needs lots of memory

Otherwise, please send the bug report and also post a screenshot of the bug report submission window here - it helps me find the right report.

Robin
vendinleciel

Post by vendinleciel »

Hello

I try to use Sharpcap 3.2 32 bits on my Acer notebook and apès launch, the program display first screen and crash and stop.
sharpcap 3.1 an 2.9 32 bit are ok. Sharpcap 3.2 64 bits is OK.
I have a file shahrpcap.dmp but i can't join on attachements section: Error
Invalid file extension: SharpCap.dmp

i join a file description of my notebook
Attachments
SYS_w10.txt
(1.79 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

you can email the dump file to me - I will send you a private message.

Robin
tfmb

Post by tfmb »

Hello Robin,

I am setting up a laptop dedicated to astronomy. I was able to run Sharpcap on it a few times and to set up the camera, the mount control and the plate solving. Unfortunately, the day I tried it on the field, Sharpcap started to crash at startup, just after the splash screen. Having tried many tips proposed on your site (removing all antivirus and firewall, removing all drivers, removing the registry entries, trying older v3.2 version,...) I finally decided to reset Windows 10 completely and start from scratch again. Unfortunately, Sharpcap still refuses to go past the splash screen.

Here is the link for the dump file. I hope you will be able to help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k4AlA6 ... sp=sharing

Best regards,

Roland
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Roland,

it looks like SharpCap is crashing due to a problem in 'igdumdim32.dll' - this is part of the Intel Graphics driver package. So, the first suggestion would be to try to find an updaste for the Intel graphics driver and install that (do make sure it is an official one from Intel - start here : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... /home.html).

If that doesn't work, then you can turn off SharpCap's use of the accelerated features of your graphics card, which will probably cure the problem - you have to run SharpCap from a command prompt and add the /softwarerendering parameter - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Comman ... 0Arguments . This approach may cause higher CPU load when running SharpCap.

hope this helps,

Robin
tfmb

Post by tfmb »

Thanks for your quick answer. You were right, downloading the Lenovo version of the Intel drivers solved my issue (the vanilla ones did not work and neither did the /softwarerendering parameter).
I hope I still have time to reinstall all the other programs before it gets dark! :D .

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
JimboBman

Post by JimboBman »

I'm in need of help, this is a bit new to me so the problem may be me, but I am having SharpCap report that I have an error when trying to connect (to my Synscan App) that appears to be ASCOM driver related.

A subsequent message seems to confirm this, saying that a bug has been detected and then giving a long message (pasted below\0, before the system then runs for a short while and crashes without notice or giving me an report/ log screen.

I am new, but I havd been using SharpCap very crudely and inexpertly for a few weeks before trying to download ASCOM and the required drivers and now this seems pretty serious, am I doing something wrong?

Error message is:

ASCOM.DriverException: Conversation timeout ---> ASCOM.DriverException: Conversation timeout
at ASCOM.SynScanMobile.AscomConversationManager.Converse(Command command, ArgsChecker argsChecker, ConverseParams convParams)
at SwCsCommon.SSMConversation.ConversationManager.ConverseGetBoolean(String cmd, ConverseParams convParams)
at ASCOM.SynScanMobile.Telescope.get_CanSlew()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CheckDotNetExceptions(String memberName, Exception e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 613
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.GetTargetInvocationExceptionHandler(String memberName, Exception e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 664
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 230
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Telescope.get_CanSlew() in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Telescope.cs:line 450
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.MountCapabilities..ctor(IMountProxy mount) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 45
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.GetCapabilities() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 93
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.get_CanReportPointing() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 332
at SharpCap.ViewModels.MenuItemViewModel.Refresh() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Menus\SplitButtonViewModel.cs:line 61
at SharpCap.ViewModels.MenuItemViewModel.Refresh() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Menus\SplitButtonViewModel.cs:line 63
at SharpCap.ViewModels.SharpCapViewModel.UpdateAllStatuses()
at SharpCap.ViewModels.SharpCapViewModel.<appModel_OnCaptureEvent>d__132.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the error message means that the ASCOM driver for your mount has lost communications with the mount itself - probably it has sent a request to the mount for some information and is not receiving a reply.

If you are connecting wirelessly to your mount then this is just one of those things that is going to happen now and again (and sometimes will happen frequently). Unfortunately wireless connections do drop out from time to time and the people who write ASCOM drivers seem not to consider that , so rarely have code to retry on a first failure...

It may seem old-fashioned, but a USB or serial cable connection from the computer to the mount is the most reliable way to get it working!

cheers,

Robin
JimboBman

Post by JimboBman »

Thanks Robin,

A couple of things, are you suggesting that I find a cable that connects from my laptop USB to the ethernet/ Hand Control port on my mount (the only mount connection port I have)? If so then there is nowhere for me to connect my wifi dongle to, will I then be able to use the SynScan app from my PC?

My second question is, if this is to do with unreliability of wifi, why is there a SharpCap problem and not the same issue when I'm driving my mount with Stellarium?

I'm still not sure I've got all of the connections/ configurations correct, my SynScan app driver is using IP address 192.168.4.1, this seems odd to me, could this be an issue?

Also, I tried running SharpCap when not connected to my mount or Synscan and got the same error until I unchecked the 'connect hardware automatically when opening a camera' box in Hardware settings, but then when I connect via the scope controls tab in SharpCap the driver error message says "If the device needs you to pick a serial port in its configuration, please check that the correct port is selected", I fear that it's something like getting the port correct that might be tripping me up.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated,

Jim