Trojan:Win32/Azden.A!cl ?

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Harmonious

Trojan:Win32/Azden.A!cl ?

Post by Harmonious »

Win 10 defender reports that the latest version of SC has this Trojan:Win32/Azden.A!cl. Windows blocked an attempt to download moments ago. The installed beta version of3.1 no longer runs for more than a few moments. Defender reported the Trojan 3 times today.

I'm not running any other anti-virus software on this PC, and I am reluctant to try downloading it to another PC running Norton.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Trojan:Win32/Azden.A!cl ?

Post by admin »

Thanks for the heads up - It looks like the very latest build of SharpCap 3.0 is being affected by this false positive, but not older builds or SharpCap 3.1. I have taken down the build for now and reported the false positive to Microsoft.

cheers,

Robin
Harmonious

Post by Harmonious »

Just now I tried to download the latest version, .4024.0 to a PC running windows 10 home, v. 1709 build 16299.125, using Edge. A dialog box raises with a choice of run or save. Both options result in a "smart screen" warning and the download The "smart screen" feature identifies the download as unsafe and blocks it. Using the latest version of Firefox the install file downloads and can be run.

The latest 3.1 beta downloads and installs normally.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you - that was fine yesterday and the installed files are not showing any issues with desktop windows defender with latest virus definitions. I submitted a previous build to Microsoft's false positive reporting service and they even agreed it wasn't malware, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything...

The good news is that I think I have worked out how to stop this from happening (fingers crossed). The build of 3.1 I put up yesterday has the new changes in it and I had just made a new build of 3.0 with the same fixes when I saw your post (so that was good timing).

So, please try 3.0.4039 and see if that works OK for you. I really hope this works and doesn't get more problems as I have spent the last two days chasing my tail over this when I would much rather be adding new features and fixing bugs.

cheers,

Robin

PS. for the technically curious, the problems are (I think) caused by my use of a tool top make the code of SharpCap harder to hack or reverse engineer. I do this to stop people from creating cracked versions or stealing the code. Virus writers use similar tools to try to hide what they are doing. I presume that the Azden.A!cl virus uses exactly the same tool that I do and that tool leaves patterns in the code that the antivirus software spots.
Harmonious

Post by Harmonious »

Yes! v 3.0.4039 downloads with Edge and installs and runs normally. Thank you.

Now you can get back to more good feature sets and the little problem with stacking in the latest beta ;)

-David
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wait 5 more minutes... 4039 is missing a flag that lets it use extra memory on 64 bit windows. 4040 just building!

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, try 4040 - should be good now.

cheers,

Robin