Dropped photos

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
John Hughes

Dropped photos

Post by John Hughes »

The last couple of nights of clear skies I have tried to take images but After the first the images are dropped. I have shut down the software and opened I again several times but the result is the same. I set up for 300 second subs in FITS, at 120 Gain. Temp controls set at -10C. I have set up for a capture for 40, 300 second exposures. The first one is registered and after that they are dropped. I move to the setting to 3.0 second and 30 second with the same result. How can I stop pictures from being dropped?
Menno555

Re: Dropped photos

Post by Menno555 »

I've had that here 2 or 3 times times and it was always a communication issue between camera/USB and PC. After a restart of my PC, it was fine again.
Maybe obvious but I mention this because I don't know if you leave your computer always on or not? :)

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Menno is right that it is certainly worth checking out the USB troubleshooting guide (link in the orange box above) as it is just the sort of issue that can be caused by poor USB connections. If that doesn't get you anywhere, then please check the log after the problem happens (even better - post the log here and we can advise).

cheers,

Robin

PS. what camera by the way?
John Hughes

Post by John Hughes »

The Camara is a ZWO ASI MC 294. The past few nights got down near freezing so I will check the USB terminal and maybe to to heat it. Thank You
John Hughes

Post by John Hughes »

Ok tried again tonight. Set up the same as above with a ZWO ASI 294 MC. Connected with a two meter cable to a Beltron 7 port powered Hub with a meter and a half cable to an ASUS computer. All went well for the first 5-300 second photos then it dropped the next 5 when I stopped it. I shut down the computer and rebooted. It took two 300 second photos before it began dropping them again. Shut off the computer several times but after each start up in just dropped photos. A changed ports by hooking the camera directly to the laptop but no change. I tried different port on the hub terminal but nothing helped. I even moved the computer and port hub into my truck to try and keep them warm. (0 C outside) but that did not help. Not sure where to go from here. I don’t understand how if you do not touch or change any settings why it suddenly goes from storing photos to dropping them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi John,

SharpCap should have saved a log file tracking each time you ran it - that may contain information that will help track down the problem. You can find these by doing this

* Run SharpCap Again
* Help menu, choose 'Show Log'
* Click the 'Locate on Disk' button
* The folder full of log files should pop up (possibly after a warning you can click through)
* Look at the dates and sizes of the log file to work out which ones contain the problem. The bigger files are likely to be of more interest. The *name* of the file reflects the time that SharpCap was started, the 'date modified' info shown by Windows will correspond to when SharpCap was shut down.

Post one of the logs here and I will take a look to see if I can work out anything.

thanks,

Robin
John Hughes

Post by John Hughes »

Thank You. I am going over the drivers and updates to make they are all up to date later today. I will also find the logs and post one when I get chance today.
John Hughes

Post by John Hughes »

Hello Robin
On checking the ZWO page I updated the drivers and I installed Sharpcap 4.0 over 3.2 which I had installed earlier. I will try and take some flats and darks later as the weather is poor hear for viewing the next few days. Thank You
John Hughes

Post by John Hughes »

Trying to copy and paste the Logs but I am not able to post it on the forum. Is there another method to get the data to you?
John Hughes

Post by John Hughes »

https://www.dropbox.com/t/y6b5cRWG08Qhc0Tj
Here is the dropbox link to one of the logs. This should be the one that captured 5 300s images before dropping 5.
Attachments
Log_2021-12-03T18_24_20-23952.log
(54.02 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Log_2021-12-03T18_24_20-23952.log
(54.02 KiB) Downloaded 35 times