No Reliable GOTO after platesolve and sync with SynsScan App

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: No Reliable GOTO after platesolve and sync with SynsScan App

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

I suspect you are right that EQMOD would only work with the dob on a wedge - not something to attempt lightly (or perhaps at all!)

You are correct that it is sometimes possible to reverse engineer and then edit ASCOM drivers (although that would probably be a breach of the tedious terms and conditions that you didn't read to the end when you installed it...). Also people sometimes write their own when they are frustrated with the lack of support from manufacturers - that's how EQMOD came about and it looks like there is now another alternative - check out GS Server - https://sites.google.com/view/greenswamp/ (note - I have not tried this, just came across it while seeing if there were any more alternatives out there).

cheers,

Robin
MikeHuerto

Post by MikeHuerto »

Hi Robin

Thanks! GS looks promising -will try it right now on my old PC. it has SW ASCOM support.

Meanwhile, I found out from that INDI/Kstars contains an SW Alt/AZ Dobson driver.

https://indilib.org/telescopes/skywatcher.html

I just installed it. on my Mac, and yes it works- at least I can move my mount in all directions.. INDI also has drivers for ZWO cameras and my Falcon rotator, as well as plate solving and planetarium software. I have not tested the Windows version yet, - though it seems that is not longer supported?? So will first test the GS (on my old Windows PC. )

Fingers crossed!

EDIT: The GS platform does not yet support SW Alt/Az -I double checked with the author (Rob), he says he'll incorporate it soon.
Perhaps, if you could send him a message, it might help push things along :D

Mike
Bortle 5
Skywatcher GOTO Synscan 14" Dobson
Skywatcher 130PDS on HEQ5
ZWOASI224MC and ASI294MCPro
Laptop = Lenovo Legion 5 FullHD 144Hz (Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA RTX2060-6GB, Windows 10
MikeHuerto

Post by MikeHuerto »

Hi Robin

I think I figured out why the mount is not always moving (enough) after sync. Too much backlash. I adjusted the backlash compensation setting in the Synnscan App (both for RA and DEC) This seems to improve tracking and response to platesolving. Last night it returned a few 0 offsets during a series of sequencer programed platesolves, most were 0.01 and 0.02. So thats great, but now, Im starting to see what looks like dark-fixed pattern noise after about 30 mins of 4 sec 400 gain subs - or maybe its that I just noticed it. I did try dithering, but the Synscan App doesn't like it, and stops tracking (it tends to ignore pulse guides in the reverse direction). Either way, I will try increasing number of darks from 25 to 100, to see if that helps remove the pattern noise.

Mike
Bortle 5
Skywatcher GOTO Synscan 14" Dobson
Skywatcher 130PDS on HEQ5
ZWOASI224MC and ASI294MCPro
Laptop = Lenovo Legion 5 FullHD 144Hz (Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA RTX2060-6GB, Windows 10