Sharpcap crashes shortly after connecting camera

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
PatG

Sharpcap crashes shortly after connecting camera

Post by PatG »

Hi

I am running windows 10 on a new Thinkpad laptop.

Recently installed Sharpcap and have attempted to test out Lodestar II. The Lodestar is immediately recognised and connects without problem, however after 30 seconds or so Sharpcap crashes, I get an error dialog box and then it shuts down.

I attach exception report for these unexpected shut downs.

Any advice much appreciated.

PatG
Attachments
CameraException at SharpCap.Cameras.StarlightXpress.SDK.SxSDKAccess.CheckReadResultNegativeError(int hr, MethodBase callingMethod, params object[] parameters)_line 155#51325.error.zip
(19.87 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
CameraException at SharpCap.Cameras.StarlightXpress.SDK.SxSDKAccess.CheckReadResultNegativeError(int hr, MethodBase callingMethod, params object[] parameters)_line 155#51325.error.zip
(19.87 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap crashes shortly after connecting camera

Post by admin »

Hi,

both logs show the same error - SharpCap is getting an error when it tries to read the pixel values from the camera after the exposure is complete. The error code is

Code: Select all

1235 The request was aborted
What that means exactly is more of a mystery sadly. Since the reading of the pixel values requires data to be transferred from the camera to the PC, I wonder if that transfer is failing with that error (and eventually the error code makes its way back to SharpCap).

This error seems to be happening repeatedly - for every attempt to capture a frame. SharpCap ignores a few frame capture failures on the grounds that it might just be a glitch and maybe the next frame will work, but after a sufficient number of failures in a row, it stops ignoring the error and reports it to the user.

If it is a data transfer issue then it might be worth looking at your USB connection back to the PC - try different or shorter cables or different USB ports - sometimes a poor USB connection is good enough to identify the camera and set control values but not good enough for image data transfer.

cheers,

Robin