Sharpcap Pro 4 files saves wrong

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
DuaneS

Sharpcap Pro 4 files saves wrong

Post by DuaneS »

Hi Robin - I have my settings set to save as TIFF and verified under capture settings but all my saves are PNG format and not TIFF. Not sure if I am missing something. Running version 4.0.8185.0

Thanks
Duane
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap Pro 4 files saves wrong

Post by admin »

Hi Duane,

that's odd - where have you set up TIF saves? If it is in the settings then it's worth noting that the file format there is only the preferred save format (used when in auto mode). If you have set TIF in the output format control (as shown below) then you should really get everything saved as TIFF.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (20.82 KiB) Viewed 591 times
cheers,

Robin
DuaneS

Post by DuaneS »

Hi Robin - I checked this tonight and I do have the camera setting set to TIFF and yet it downloads as PNG. I attached a screenshot showing settings
Attachments
image-1.png
image-1.png (516.81 KiB) Viewed 550 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

ah, OK, 'with display stretch' images always save as PNG. Those images are designed to be viewed without any significant further processing, so PNG is a nice, universal, lossless and relatively compact file format. Applying the display stretch drops the image to 8 bit, so there is no gain in saving as TIFF, etc. anyway. It's flagged in the documentation - ie https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Displa ... %20Buttons

cheers,

Robin
GSBass

Post by GSBass »

Interesting, I didn’t realize it was saving as 8bit, I have been using the “save as seen” image to do further post processing, is there a work around to save it as 16bit?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

you want 'Save with adjustments' I think - that will include the adjustments in the live stacking area (stretch, sharpening/noise reduction, etc) but not the display stretch. See https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Actions%20Group

cheers,

Robin