SC Plate Solving Failed Giving an unlikely reason

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
GaryS

SC Plate Solving Failed Giving an unlikely reason

Post by GaryS »

Hi
I initiated a plate solve after a poor slew and plate solves repeated failed - this is atypical. I first tried ASTAP and then Astrotortilla - neither worked. I adjusted gamma from 50 upward on successive attempts, eventually giving up at gamma=70. From the error message visible in the image below, I suspect something is wrong that I cannot overcome since the image clearly shows adequate stars while the error message indicates that none were found. I'd appreciate any insights anyone can offer on how to deal more successfully with the error message.
regards,
Gary

SC Plate Solve Fail - why.png
SC Plate Solve Fail - why.png (675.11 KiB) Viewed 986 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: SC Plate Solving Failed Giving an unlikely reason

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

it's possible that SharpCap failed to extract the number of stars found from the plate solve results, which would leave the default value of zero and trigger the 'not enough stars' message. If you can post the full log file then I can track back through the plate solve output to see if I can work out what is going on.

cheers,

Robin
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Hi Robin
I will find and attach the log.
Meanwhile, I woke this morning and realized I had not changed the FL of the little refractor I was trying for the first time last night. I had it set to 800 for my other scope and just forgot to reset it to 250 mm. Could that make enough of a difference to cause problems??
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

yes, that could well be the problem. If you don't set a focal length then SharpCap tells the plate solving application to try a range of possible fields of view - that approach works, but is slower. If you do set the focal length the SharpCap works out the field of view from the focal length and pixel size/count and tells the plate solving application to only try near that one set FOV. If the FOV is right then the results are very quick. If its wrong then it will almost certainly fail.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

one more thing... I should say that I would still appreciate it if you could dig out the log file - it might let me improve the error messaging when ASTAP fails if I could work out why it showed 'zero stars' instead of a more sensible error.

cheers,

Robin
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Robin:
I hope I did this right. It seemed the two files below were created at about the time that the problem occurred - per the SC window screenshot I attached above. Please let me know if these aren't the correct ones and I'll dig into this again.
Gary
Log_2021-10-19T22_10_27-9128.log
(232.12 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Log_2021-10-22T13_18_03-2780.log
(35.35 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

thanks for sharing - the larger log file contains the info I wanted. I can see that it does have the star count from ASTAP but for some reason ignores it - I will investigate.

cheers,

Robin
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

I encountered the same ‘complete crashing of laptop’ problem again last night when I tried the spiral search routine. All I did was hold down the button and I started getting a series of relentless message boxes that I could only stop by shutting down the computer with the ‘on button’. What could I be doing wrong?
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, it's just that the mount has stopped responding to movement requests (and is giving an error when asked to move). Unfortunately the spiral search just shows an error message box and keeps on trying, so the errors mount up. I have now fixed that (will be in tomorrow's update) - if there is an error from trying to move the mount then you should only get 1 (maybe 2) errors and the spiral search will stop automatically rather than try to continue.

What has caused the mount to stop moving on request is of course a much harder question to answer... :(

cheers,

Robin