ZWO ASI2600 MM Pro Disconnect

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
mralpaca

ZWO ASI2600 MM Pro Disconnect

Post by mralpaca »

Hello,

I recently got the ASI2600 and the camera consistently disconnects from sharpcap and requires being physically unplugged from the computer to be re-recognized. I have tested this both with the latest version 3.0 and 4.0, and have the newest drivers installed. I do not see this issue with NINA, so the camera is not the issue- it seems that for some reason they do not play nice.

Any setting changes that may fix this?

Thank you!
Menno555

Re: ZWO ASI2600 MM Pro Disconnect

Post by Menno555 »

HI and welcome to the forum

Could you check this: when the disconnect happens, could you check in Windows (Settings -> Devices) if it shows as connected or not?

Menno
mralpaca

Post by mralpaca »

Of course it is working just fine right now! I will test it and see what it says if / when it disconnects
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

also keep an eye on the SharpCap log when this happens. If you see lines like

Code: Select all

Processed hardware change removal event for \\?\USB#VID_03C3&PID_120D#5&31b9d28b&0&20#{c5b27530-3592-4e87-9e99-c2bafd5e5692} (ZWO ASI120MM-S Camera)
(obviously with your camera name in...)

then it means that the device is actually disconnecting from the USB system - this could be down to a poor connection, faulty or pulling cable, hubs, etc. If you are not seeing those messages then it may be a more subtle problem - the camera basically stopping responding correctly to requests. In either case, check out the USB troublshooting steps (link at the top of this page in the orange box).

cheers,

Robin
mralpaca

Post by mralpaca »

Here is the error I am getting. The thing is that this only appears with Sharpcap and not nina

Warning 11:56:27.131053 #9 Current camera (ZWO ASI2600MM Pro) will be closed due to disconnection (device lost : \\?\USB#VID_03C3&PID_260E#5&290b3b87&0&10#{c5b27530-3592-4e87-9e99-c2bafd5e5692} (ZWO ASI2600MM Pro Camera)) in void SharpCap.UI.MainWindowSupport.HandleDeviceNotification(string name, bool arrival)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Ok, so what is happening is that the camera is definitely disconnecting completely from USB - possibly the onboard computer on the camera is freezing or resetting. If you had sound on your computer you would hear the 'bloop bloop' sound of a device being unplugged.

The question is then, what is causing the camera to reset/disconnect.

Some questions...

* Are you running the camera with 12V supply connected - there have been issues with these large format cameras being unstable without 12V, even with cooling off.
* Are you running the camera in live mode or still mode? NINA almost certainly runs the camera in the equivalent of SharpCap's still mode
* Are settings (exposure, gain, USB speed, etc) the same in NINA and SharpCap? - if not, try using the NINA settings in SharpCap to see if that helps
* Is there any particular point when the disconnects happen? (for instance at the end of a frame) which might help understand the problem.

cheers,

Robin
mralpaca

Post by mralpaca »

Thank you for your reply. Answers in order!
- Camera has the 12V supply connected (but does not have an issue in NINA without 12V)
- It must be in live mode, since I have not changed any settings in sharpcap (in NINA, I am also using the constant picture mode (e.g., it loops new frames for the equivalent of live mode)
- Everything is the same settings wise
- Sometimes there are no issues, others right after it detects and downloads one frame. I truly have no idea what it could be as it appears to be completely random. I think sharpcap and the camera don't play nice, the camera crashes and it turns back on (the computer does the unplug then the replug sound, but it does not recognize the camera until I manually unplug it)

I know this is not that helpful since I am not providing any real detail. Should I upload the log file or is there something else I can send across?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think I would be tempted to try putting SharpCap into still mode to see if that makes a difference (unselect the 'live view' option in the toolbar before opening the camera).

NINA is going to use the camera's still mode exclusively as it is a deep sky imaging tool. Even when running continously it will run still frames in a loop.

SharpCap will use the camera's video mode if 'Live View' is selected and the exposure is less than 2 seconds. This is quite a different way of talking tot he camera and could be the cause of the differences. Also consider dropping the 'Turbo USB' setting to minimum.

Finally, are you using any USB hubs/extension cables in your setup? They can cause this sort of problem if you are unlucky.

cheers,

Robin
mralpaca

Post by mralpaca »

I will give turning off live view a try! How do I cycle through images in this mode? Is there a "loop" image setting? NINA does not use live view, but uses a loop exposure setting.

No extenders or hubs in between the camera and computer
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

in still mode you can use

* The 'Framing Shot' button - take a single shot and show the image, but not save
* The 'Snapshot' button - take a single shot, show and save the image
* The various options in 'Start Capture' - for instance to capture 50 frames. SharpCap will capture in a loop until all 50 are saved.

thanks,

Robin