Camera Disconnect

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Eggmoon

Camera Disconnect

Post by Eggmoon »

Hi,

Recently started using SharpCap, Polar Align works a treat!! :D

I'm having an issue with my QHY 163C Camera... it's disconnecting quite often, usually causing SharpCap to crash out, or a red message at the top if the image screen saying the camera disconnected. The longer the exposure, the greater the chance.

Updated drivers
Updates Windows
Swapped USB cable
Rebooted laptop

Still happeneing.

But here is the interesting part.... if I am telling SharpCap to connect via the ASCOM driver, all seems to go well, the issue only seems to be on the native driver.

So, is this a QHY driver issue... or a SharpCap issue... or a combination... seems quite odd to me. My money is on the QHY driver, given the camera, cable and laptop all seem to function well enough together for ASCOM... but I guess there is some sort of chance SharpCap itself is having an issue with the supplied drivers.

Any hints anyone?
Geoff
Aussie telescope enthusiast, loving Australian dark skies!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Camera Disconnect

Post by admin »

Hi Geoff,

it's almost certainly a software problem - either the QHY SDK (which is the software that QHY send to developers like me to enable us to talk to their cameras) or a SharpCap issue.

The disconnection message can either come from the camera really disconnecting from USB (this can be a physical thing like a dodgy or pulled cable or a glitch of the on-camera software), or it can be SharpCap detecting that the camera is no longer responding correctly to the commands being sent to it.

I'm not seeing any uploaded bug reports from the QHY163C - are you using the latest SharpCap (4.0)? If so then please press the 'report' button if you are prompted (or send me a log from SharpCap after the problem happens if you are not prompted to report the problem).

cheers,

Robin
Eggmoon

Post by Eggmoon »

Hi Robin,

I was on the latest version of SharpCap.... till I opened it up again today just before this and it prompted me for an update!! I'll see if that fixes the issue when I get a chance, but I'll include the log file from the last time the QHY 163C disonected itself.

It's the same USB cable as was working ok for the ASCOM driver, and the results were the same with another USB cable as well.

I am new to your forums here.... do you want me to copy/paste the log file in here, or send it to you in a private message?
Geoff
Aussie telescope enthusiast, loving Australian dark skies!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Geoff,

probably best to attach the log file as an attachment to a post here (I think there is a length limit on private messages, which can be a problem).

thanks,

Robin