Exposure times are doubled with Lodestar X2

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
HeartOfTexas

Exposure times are doubled with Lodestar X2

Post by HeartOfTexas »

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the software or the camera.

I have a Lodestar X2 Mono and any exposure time I choose over 1 sec takes twice as long to show an image. So for example if I pick 2 seconds the countdown will go to 4 seconds before the image shows up. If I pick 4 seconds the countdown goes to 8 seconds before an image. 8 seconds goes to 16, 15 to 30, etc.

This happens no matter what color space and resolution I choose. At first I thought it was the hub or extension cable but I get the same behavior when plugged in directly.

I also have a QHY5L-II Mono and it takes double time on the first exposure but then is normal after that. I am running SharpCap 3.1 beta under Parallels on a 2016 MacBook Pro.

Is this simply a limitation of USB2 cameras, a problem with virtualization or is there something else going on?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Exposure times are doubled with Lodestar X2

Post by admin »

Hi,

this is a peculiarity of the Lodestar camera which is an interlaced camera - that means that you can only expose 1/2 of the pixels at one time (as far as I can work out anyway). So, if you want a 4 second exposure at full resolution you have to do a 4 second exposure for rows 1,3,5,7 etc and then another for rows 2,4,6,8 etc.

There is a control to let you tweak this - 'Interlace Handling' - you can choose various options, some of which give the double time you are describing and some that do not (but those that do not are effectively throwing away half the vertical resolution).

cheers,

Robin
HeartOfTexas

Re: Exposure times are doubled with Lodestar X2

Post by HeartOfTexas »

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe there should be some way of conveying this information to the user though as this can be very confusing. At least a mention in the manual (although who reads those :lol: ).