Plate solve issue

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate solve issue

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for sharing the test image. I can see what is going on now - SharpCap is sending a RAW image to the plate solving engine, which is strictly incorrect. Apparently it usually doesn't matter much in practice or I would have heard about this before now, but in your case the combination of sensor noise and the bayer grid in the RAW image is enough to be picked up as stars by the plate solving engine, causing the ridiculously large star counts and the failure to plate solve.

I think the conversion of the image to 8 bit (or, equivalently capturing in 8 bit) reduces the noise or bayer grid enough to no longer trigger the problem. Capturing with a lower gain or exposure would have a similar effect.

What I really need to do is to change the code to debayer RAW images before sending them to the plate solver - I will look into this, but unfortunately it is not quite as simple a change as I would have hoped.

cheers,

Robin
brisguy

Post by brisguy »

Would setting the color space to RGB during plate solving be a workaround for now? Reducing the exposure and gain does not always work.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, RGB should do the trick, or just download 4.0.8149, which includes an option (default on) to reduce the bit depth of an image to 8 bit before sending it to the plate solver.

cheers,

Robin
brisguy

Post by brisguy »

I did try RGB last night and what a difference! I had to increase exposure and back off on the sigma value in order to get enough sources.

I will try 4.0.8149 next time I go out.

Thanks!