ASCOM ES_PMC8.Telescope

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Donpedro1810

ASCOM ES_PMC8.Telescope

Post by Donpedro1810 »

I have an IEXOS-2 telescope mount with PMC-8 control. I would like to control the mount with Sharpcap, unfortunately the setup causes problems. I get the following error message when I click on properties. Can someone help me, please.
Attachments
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot2.png (27.8 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Screenshot3.png
Screenshot3.png (10.89 KiB) Viewed 954 times
brisguy

Re: ASCOM ES_PMC8.Telescope

Post by brisguy »

I have an ES EXOS2 mount and I use SharpCap.

I wonder why you have setup SC to connect directly to the ES driver. Normally you would connect ASCOM POTH to the driver and then connect other apps, like Stellarium and SharpCap, to POTH. This is what I do and it works fine. In fact, being able to select the "solve and resync" function is a game changer!

Try that change to your setup and it should work. I recommend checking out the MAIN or Applications groups in the ES forums. Several topics related to ASCOM control have been posted there and cover these topics.

Note that after trying to use SC with the "Connect hardware automatically..." box checked (as show on your screencap), I had trouble. So I unchecked that box and launch POTH first, connect the scope, and then launch SC. Works every time now.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

please could you post the SharpCap log captured after you have made the error happen, so I can investigate whether this is a SharpCap bug or a bug in the ASCOM driver.

thanks,

Robin
Donpedro1810

Post by Donpedro1810 »

brisguy wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:20 pm I wonder why you have setup SC to connect directly to the ES driver. Normally you would connect ASCOM POTH to the driver and then connect other apps, like Stellarium and SharpCap, to POTH. This is what I do and it works fine. In fact, being able to select the "solve and resync" function is a game changer!
I thought that if you already have the option of configuring the hardware in Sharpcap, why not use this? Switching between Poth and Sharpcap is not comfortable.
Donpedro1810

Post by Donpedro1810 »

admin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:03 pm Hi,

please could you post the SharpCap log captured after you have made the error happen, so I can investigate whether this is a SharpCap bug or a bug in the ASCOM driver.

thanks,

Robin
here the log file:
Attachments
Log_2021-09-01T13_06_02-11792.log
(53.05 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

well, there is definitely a bug in the ASCOM driver, since SharpCap is just setting the connected status to false before showing the setup window and there is no way that should cause an error from the ASCOM driver but it does. On the other hand, I will try to change the code so that this error is not triggered (after all, if the device is already flagged as not connected then I don't need to set that status). Hopefully that will resolve the issue without needing a bug fix from the ASCOM driver developers.

cheers,

Robin
brisguy

Post by brisguy »

>Switching between Poth and Sharpcap is not comfortable.

There is no switching between the two in the configuration I mentioned. POTH serves as a hub for mount control that is shared between the pointing app (used to find targets) and the camera app. You can control the mount with either, but once I am setup, I normally don't move the mount manually using either control. I use Stellarium to select the targets and slew and use 'solve and sync' to center the target. I don't understand what you're trying to do however. How are you slewing to your targets? ExploreStars?
Donpedro1810

Post by Donpedro1810 »

brisguy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:00 pm I use Stellarium to select the targets and slew and use 'solve and sync' to center the target.
Thank you for your response. It's good to talk about Stellarium. With Stellarium I also have problems with my IEXOS-2. The mount is correctly connected in the Stellarium, but when I want to slewing onto an object, I get this message:
But the telescope is not parked!
what else can I do?
Attachments
Unbenannt4.png
Unbenannt4.png (20.81 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Donpedro1810

Post by Donpedro1810 »

brisguy wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:20 pm I have an ES EXOS2 mount and I use SharpCap.
Which ASCOM driver do you have installed?
brisguy

Post by brisguy »

I have seen others complain of the 'parked scope' issue. I used to have it too but not since using POTH and connecting Stellarium to POTH instead of the PMC-8 driver. However, this is a SharpCap forum so think we should move this discussion to the one of the pmc-8 forums. Since you are a pmc-8 user, you will benefit from those. They are here: https://espmc-eight.groups.io

If you search for 'Stellarium' in the Main group, you will see a posting I made where I stumble through the steps and get feedback and finally get it working.