Latest version 4.0 keeps disconnecting

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
descott12

Latest version 4.0 keeps disconnecting

Post by descott12 »

Hello,
I am running Win 10 Pro. I was using 3.2.6482 and I have been running a 120MM mini for plate solving and a 178MM or 294MC for my main OTA. All ZWO. I can run two instances of SC simultaneously connecting to each without any issue.

Just updated to 4.x and I am getting camera disconnects frequently. I originally thought it was when I started the second instance but it disconnected from the 120MM without a second instance running. Earlier today I was running with just the 178 and it seemed ok.
So this may just be an issue with the 120MM

Thanks
Dave Scott
admin
Site Admin

Re: Latest version 4.0 keeps disconnecting

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

please can you send the SharpCap log - there are a number of things that can cause a disconnect message (and most of them would have caused a crash in SC 3.2). From the log I will be able to see what the cause was and whether it was a SharpCap bug or not.

thanks,

Robin
descott12

Post by descott12 »

Hey Robin,
I banged on it a bit tonight and could not get it to fail. So not sure what is going on. I will play with it some more and see if I can make it happen again. I am now suspecting that the USB cable was loose and the connection was intermittent so I am pretty sure it isn't SharpCap.
Thanks as always for the quick reply
Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

if you have a dodgy connection then SharpCap will put an entry in the log every time the device disconnects - something like

Code: Select all

Info   	18:06:50.554027	#27	Processed hardware change removal event for \\?\USB#VID_03C3&PID_120D#5&31b9d28b&0&20#{c5b27530-3592-4e87-9e99-c2bafd5e5692} (ZWO ASI120MM-S Camera)
If you are seeing entries like that in your log with the name of your camera in (or at least the name that the camera has in device manager - which is sometimes different) then you definitely have connectivity problems.

cheers,

Robin
descott12

Post by descott12 »

Well there seems to be a real problem with the 120MM. It connected but no data displayed and the histogram was empty. The logs shows dropped frames then SC crashed/closed.
Log file attached.
Attachments
Log_2021-07-17T23_11_43-7204.log
(55.74 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

were you using relatively long exposures in 16 bit? There have been issues with the USB2 versions of the 120MM and 120MC in those situations -
some people find working settings, others struggle. The USB3 versions seem to be more reliable. You can find a number of discussions of this sort of thing on the forums - ie https://www.google.com/search?q=120mc+s ... pcap.co.uk

This is one of those odd things as I am sure I recall the 120MC being fairly reliable when I first had it in 16 bit long exposure, but somewhere along the way it seemed to become less so - perhaps as a result of updates to the SDK /driver for supporting other models.

cheers,

Robin
descott12

Post by descott12 »

Hey Robin,
I will experiment a little between 8 and 16 bit and see what happens. The only real variable that I can see so far is the update to SharpCap.
But I will pound on it a little and see what happens.
Thanks
Dave