autoguide with synscan AZ

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: autoguide with synscan AZ

Post by admin »

Ok,

this will not work in the current version of SC4.0 (due to a small bug), but I have just fixed that, so in next Monday's version please try the following method to set the guide rate using the scripting console.

Code: Select all

>>> print SharpCap.Mounts.SelectedMount.AscomMount.GuideRateDeclination
>>> print SharpCap.Mounts.SelectedMount.AscomMount.GuideRateRightAscension
>>> SharpCap.Mounts.SelectedMount.AscomMount.GuideRateRightAscension = 0.003
>>> print SharpCap.Mounts.SelectedMount.AscomMount.GuideRateRightAscension
>>> 
The values are in degrees per second, so sidereal rate is the 0.004178 that my mount starts out at. Setting the RA rate to a smaller value before using any functionality that uses the pulse guiding may help.

cheers,

Robin
MikeHuerto

Post by MikeHuerto »

ok - thanks - though I haven't used the scripting console before and I do not know python (yet) , I assume this means that when I want to use the tracking function, I just paste the script you provide into the console and then edit the GuideRateRightAscension to a lower value? Is there a way to toggle this script on and off, for when I'm not doing pulse guiding?

By the way, I was wondering if this reluctance for Synscan to accept reverse movement commands might explain why plate solve and sync does not always move the mount. Sometimes I need to press the GOTO button on the Synscan app to move the mount after doing a plate-solves and sync. . So perhaps if the first move command from plate-solves happens to be in the opposite direction of the mount movement, it will fail to move?

Thanks for your help

Best

Mike
Bortle 5
Skywatcher GOTO Synscan 14" Dobson
Skywatcher 130PDS on HEQ5
ZWOASI224MC and ASI294MCPro
Laptop = Lenovo Legion 5 FullHD 144Hz (Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA RTX2060-6GB, Windows 10
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

hopefully just the line

Code: Select all

SharpCap.Mounts.SelectedMount.AscomMount.GuideRateRightAscension = 0.003
will do the trick to reduce the rate enough to make it work. If it does then let me know and I will put an easier to use way to set this up into SharpCap.
You can always put it back by setting the value to 0.004178, but I don't think you will notice much difference?

Anyway, I think the goto after sync will be separate to this - it uses completely different commands to the driver. If you see the problem, grab the log from SharpCap and share it here - hopefully it will reveal what is going on.

cheers,

Robin