Starlight Xpress Midi filter wheel crash

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
umasscrew39

Re: Starlight Xpress Midi filter wheel crash

Post by umasscrew39 »

Sorry, Robin. I thought I attached this yesterday.

Regards,
Bruce
Attachments
SC error.docx
(34.96 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Bruce,

in that log, the main problem appears to be that when you asked the wheel to move, it kept reporting that it was still in motion for more than the 30 seconds that is allowed for it to finish.

So, I guess the questions I have are...

Did it actually move when you tested it that time?

If it did move, does it take a long time (possibly more than 30 seconds) to complete the move?

cheers,

Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

HI Robin

OK- I think I made some headway and then a question back to you.

First - I took the FW#2 down as that was the on throwing the errors and to address your questions. The FW worked fine at my desktop and it rotated within a couple of seconds. So, it acted as one would expect. In fact, it worked perfectly whether I used the ASCOM driver or not. Note: I used different cables as the ones way up on the mount are all tied down but I did try different cables yesterday by climbing up and using them loosely. They did not make a difference. So I doubt it is a cable problem.

Next step- I reattached everything to the scope and repeated my login and it failed like yesterday. I have 3 logs attached.

HOWEVER..........................

I got it to work perfectly IF I did one thing... disconnected the other camera not being used. Each scope has its own camera, autofocuser, mini guide camera, and FW. So, I am now wondering if this is a USB traffic problem or power issue?????

To refresh you on my power setup: Power comes from my house which runs to a 12VDC box (Nominal 13.8). This runs up to the main scope to a PowerLynx box using Anderson connectors and a USB3 powered hub. This PowerLynx controls the mount and dew heater and the cameras. The filter wheels and guide cams are plugged into the cameras. Then all run down via the hub to the laptop.

I hope I am not giving you a headache :?

All the best,
Bruce
Attachments
Example 3.docx
(27.54 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Example 2.docx
(25.96 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Example 1.docx
(27.44 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Bruce,

first, I see your logs are from 4.0.8025. I discovered today that I accidentally introduced a filter wheel related bug in 8025 that is happening in your logs. Please update to 4.0.8026, which should resolve this particular issue and at least get that problem out of the way.

If you are seeing issues that go away when you disconnect other devices then a USB power/data issue is a prime suspect. If you have any more USB ports on your laptop, try bringing one or more devices straight back to the laptop (or alternatively, go for 2 USB3 hubs, with 2 USB cables back to the laptop and split your cameras/wheels/etc across the two hubs).

cheers,

Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Robin

I updated to version 4.0.8026 and all works fine if I unplug one camera. Unfortunately, the two hub approach will not work (I wish it could) and I am out of laptop ports anyway as the other port is used for the mount for PHD guiding. So, I think the simplest solution is to just unplug the camera not being used and ensure the disconnected cable does not flop around.

I think we can finally close this out as we now know it is not a SC issue.

Thanks again for your persistence in helping me get through this.

Best Regards,
Bruce
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Bruce,

glad that you have a plan - one other suggestion would be to have more hubs... Something like this

Laptop => Hub1 (unpowered) => Hub 2 => 1/2 of devices
+=========> Hub 3 => other half of devices

Hub 2 and Hub 3 (which both daisy chain off hub 1) could be powered. It might work by making sure there is plenty of power available and dividing the load on the hubs a bit. On the other hand you may end up with 2 more hubs and no impovement - a bit of a risk, sadly.

cheers,

Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Thanks for the suggestions, Robin. I may try it as I have nothing to lose.

Best Regards,
Bruce