Reduced frame-rate with SC 3.2.6482.0

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: Reduced frame-rate with SC 3.2.6482.0

Post by admin »

Hi,

the change in resolution is expected - SharpCap 3.2 did not take proper account of the overscan areas for some QHY cameras, which meant you got a larger image but noise/rubbish as a frame on 2 or more sides of the image - this would then cause problems in some stacking software. SharpCap 4.0 takes proper account of this (at least it does in 16 bit modes, it doesn't seem possible to get the right information out of the camera in 8 bit mode...)

The loss of functionality of the filter wheel is not expected :( I have just tested myself (I have a QHY174 that can drive a filter wheel and a CFW2-S) and I can get the filter wheel to work in both still and live view mode in SharpCap 4.0. Remember that if your QHY filter wheel is connected via a circular plug on the camera then you should not (must not!) select a filter wheel in the SharpCap hardware settings. SharpCap will detect and connect to the QHY wheel when the camera initializes as long as it has finished its initial spin that occurs when it is plugged in.

If you have all the config correct for your filter wheel and are still getting issues then please capture and share a log file (captured after camera start up is complete and after you have tried to use the filter wheel - if it shows up).

thanks,

Robin
lukenash707

Post by lukenash707 »

Thanks Robin. It detects the filter wheel but when I change positions it freezes and stays frozen. I will send a log
lukenash707

Post by lukenash707 »

Do you think the resolution change might be the cause of the dropped frames?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I don't think it will be anything to do with the resolution change.

Does the wheel move when you ask it to change? For me the UI does pause while the wheel is in motion, but starts up again a couple of seconds after it arrives at the new position.

cheers,

Robin
lukenash707

Post by lukenash707 »

I hope this helps you and others but after much suffering, I finally figured out how to connect to the damn filter wheel with a usb vs the camera cable. This involved luckily coming across their ascom folder within the all in one driver that had the rs232 driver. Once I installed this, the filter wheel works via ascom. This has fixed every issue. The frame rate is now recording properly too. I have a feeling its a bad cable or connection. Thanks for your help with this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

that sounds promising - I guess you could imagine a situation where the wheel <-> camera communications being broken might not just affect the wheel, but also affect the proper operation of the camera too, so moving the wheel to USB sounds like a good solution.

cheers,

Robin