Sequencer Progress ETA Accuracy

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
philinbris

Sequencer Progress ETA Accuracy

Post by philinbris »

Hi Robin,
I don't believe this is a bug and is probably a bit trivial. It relates to version 4.0.7839.0 beta but also happens in earlier versions.
I have noticed in my imaging sessions were I take many short (~10 second) exposures maybe 100 or 200 at a time that the Sequencer progress ETA gets quite a bit out.
Here is the Sequencer progress for 50 x 10 sec exposures at the start point:
seq1.jpg
seq1.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 339 times
It seems reasonable as 50 x 10s exposures is 8.3 mins duration.

Here is the Sequencer Progress at exactly the mid point and you can see its lost a little under 1 minute or in other words the first 25 exposures took about 50 secs longer than estimated:
seq 2.jpg
seq 2.jpg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 339 times
In my longer sessions the ETA is often 3-5 mins out. It would be great if it was a little more accurate.
I suspect the error is creeping in due to a pause between image downloads to the PC. And I imagine it gets progressively worse the more images you take and the higher the resolution the images are.
Is there a way you can measure this time and compensate for it? Could it either be recorded as a one off that's against the camera for the different resolutions or ROI's then used again in future imaging sessions, or maybe measure after 2 or 3 image downloads then adjust ETA accordingly?

Again not a big issue.
Cheers
Phil

PS This is a great tool and is making imaging life very easy. I am beginning to think I did not need to get Voyager (which I got before the V4 beta grabbed my attention). Though the remote control / web of Voyager is great (Hint ;) ).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sequencer Progress ETA Accuracy

Post by admin »

Hi Phil,

yes, you are quite right that this is down to the delay between exposures - I can see that the current estimate is not allowing anything for the gap between frames, which is wrong, and I will adjust which will improve matters. Also the estimate should update *after* each step has finished if the step that just finished took more or less time than expected. It doesn't update during a step though - making that happen will be more tricky.

Glad you are enjoying the sequencer tools. I don't have a plan for a web dashboard at the moment, but it's an interesting idea - if only to see the sequencer status and current image...

cheers,

Robin
philinbris

Re: Sequencer Progress ETA Accuracy

Post by philinbris »

Thanks Robin.
Some status on a web page would be great and maybe an emergency stop if not hard.
Cheers