Selection of ROI after reconnexion of a camera

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Jean-Francois

Selection of ROI after reconnexion of a camera

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin,

With both last versions, I have the following with the ROI selection ...

SharpCap is running, select a camera, change the ROI to a smaller dimension, close the camera and reconnect the (same) camera ...
result: only the same ROI or smaller ROI are visible in the "Capture Area" list. No way to come back to the full camera detector.
The only way is to close the camera and close SharpCap and restart SharpCap.

I have a quick question ... is it possible to modify the list of the ROI ? (for example to delete a no more used ROI from the list )

Salutations,
Jean-Francois
procyon12

Re: Selection of ROI after reconnexion of a camera

Post by procyon12 »

Hi,

I observed the ROI issue yesterday but didn't follow it up. Just now I've tested it with QHY174GPS and latest 3.2 and 4 versions: it is exactly as Jean-Francois describes it.
The problem does not seem to occur with the ASCOM V2 simulator camera or with the webcam of my notebook.
is it possible to modify the list of the ROI ?
Take a look at the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AstroSharp Limited\SharpCap\4.0
This works, but is a bit dangerous too :-)

Cheers, Christian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the report – I think this is an issue with certain qhy cameras – I can confirm it happens on the 174, but the 294PROC that I have here is unaffected. I'll look into being able to fix this in SharpCap 4.0.

Cheers, Robin
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin and Christian,

OK, thank you for the information.

I test only with QHY cameras. My Atik cameras were not easy accessible.

Concerning the QHY-183 mono ... in SharpCap "Image Controls" ... the White Balance (RGB) can be modified (initial value is 64).
If I change a value, it has an effect on the pixel on the image.
Robin, do you "see" that ?

Regards,
Jean-Francois
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

With SC4 and ASI 1600: no ROI issue.

Christian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have a fix now for the QHY174 ROI issue - it is a QHY specific issue and even then only with some cameras.

Colour balance does change the pixel values - the colour balance adjustments specified are applied in the QHY software before the image data gets to SharpCap.

cheers,

Robin
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin,

I test the last version 4.0.7824 (64bit) with different QHY cameras (174-GPS, 5-II, 183-M und 5-III-178).

For all these cameras, the ROI selection after closing/opening the camera is solved. (Thank you for solving this problem).

Concerning the colour balance adjustments ... I know the reason on colour camera ... but I use a monochrome camera :-)
What could be the reason to have it for the QHY-183-mono camera ?

I guess that something in not correct in the QHY driver of the camera. And SharpCap "reads" some parameter list .. and it found that the camera can adjust the RGB colour balance.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Ah, I see - I was relying on the QHY SDK to reliably report on whether the various white balance controls were available - looks like it incorrectly reports that they are available for that model. I can wrap all the white balance code in a check to see if it is a colour camera, which should work around the SDK issue.

cheers,

Robin