Astro-Physics AP1100 ASCOM Connection Error

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
psparkman

Astro-Physics AP1100 ASCOM Connection Error

Post by psparkman »

Hi,

I have a new AP1100 that I am trying to connect to SharpCap. Every time that I connect I get the following error. I am using APCC and all of my other programs (SGP, PHD2, Cartes du Ciel, PEMPro) all connect without issue. SharpCap is the only program that I have every had an issue connection to this mount. I am using SharpCap 3.2.6482 64 Bit. Any ideas?

ASCOM.DriverAccessCOMException (0x80040404): The scope is not connected ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The scope is not connected
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters)
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 242
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 287
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Telescope.get_RightAscension() in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Telescope.cs:line 765
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.RefreshImpl() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 192
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.Refresh() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 145
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.get_Tracking() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 131
at SharpCap.Models.Mount.set_Connected(Boolean value) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap\Models\Mount.cs:line 145
at SharpCap.Models.Application.MergeInDeviceIndependentControls(CaptureControl controls) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap\Models\Application.cs:line 802
admin
Site Admin

Re: Astro-Physics AP1100 ASCOM Connection Error

Post by admin »

Hi,

I guess the first question is whether or not you can connect correctly in other software? If everything is giving you errors then I'd suspect that something in the setup of the mount connection is incorrect. If everything else works but SharpCap is giving you errors then we need to dig a little deeper.

The error information that you included makes it clear that SharpCap has already asked the mount to connect (which must have can pleated without any errors to get as far as it did) but then when SharpCap asks the mount for its current RA coordinate, the mount responds with an error saying it's not connected :-(

Now there are a few possibilities here – perhaps the mount really didn't connect properly at all, but also didn't report the error to SharpCap during the connection phase. That would mean that the error happens the first time SharpCap tries to ask the mount for information. Another possibility is that the Ascom driver for the AP mount starts the connection process when it's asked to connect and then carries on connecting in the background while letting SharpCap continue. In that case, SharpCap might be asking for data like the RA/Dec coordinates before the mount is properly ready. I hope it's not doing that because it would be hard to fix and it would be breaking the rules of Ascom, but there's plenty of other hardware out there that either breaks or severely bends the rules of Ascom, so that sort of thing isn't unheard of.

Anyway, as to things that you can try, consider trying the following:

Try SharpCap 4.0 – there have been quite a few changes to the Ascom mount support and while nothing has been aimed at this sort of problem specifically, you never know that it might just work.

Try connecting to the mount from another program that works (maybe a sky mapping application or PHD2) and then while that connection is still active try connecting from SharpCap.

If you're still having problems, please post the full log next time as there may be information earlier in the log that helps work out what has been going on and may be points towards the cause or even a cure.

Cheers, Robin
psparkman

Post by psparkman »

Thanks for the response Robin. As I said in the original post, every other program connects and operates perfectly with the AP ASCOM driver. SharpCap is the only program where I have a problem. In fact, it was already connected to Cartes du Ciel when it got this error. I tried it without Cartes du Ciel running and get the same error.

It is interesting, when I try to connect through the Hardware tab in SharpCap. SharpCap throws the error that I attached right away, but behind the SharpCap window ASCOM has opened the AP initialization screen. That screen comes up the first time you set up the AP ASCOM with a new program. But it seems that SharpCap is impatient and gives the error before I have had a chance to acknowledge the initialization screen.

I will try SharpCap 4 Beta, and let you know how that works. However, it will be a while as I am traveling right now and my mount is put away.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the extra description – I will see if I can persuade the AP Ascom driver to install here – even though I don't have the hardware may be I can persuade the same error to occur which might help me understand what is going on.

Cheers,
psparkman

Post by psparkman »

Well, I downloaded Version 4 and gave it a try. I had the same issue with SharpCap not connecting to my AP1100. However, today when I launched SharpCap it showed an update to version 4, so I gave it a try. With this latest version, it connected and mostly operated correctly. However, there were a couple of issues. It launched a second version of the AP ASCOM driver, which no other program has ever done. The mount controls are also inconsistent. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But at least it is close to working.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

launching a second version is usually caused by some programs running as administrator and others not. Lets say that PHD2 runs as administrator and launches the ASCOM driver. The ASCOM driver is now running as administrator. Windows won't let a non-administrator program (maybe SharpCap) talk to the ASCOM driver running as administrator. SharpCap thinks the ascom driver isn't running and starts a new one. The solution to this is to either run everything as administrator or nothing as administrator.

I do wonder if fixing the 2 versions problem might also fix the intermittent operation issue. If not, please try to capture a log file after the intermittent problem has happened and I will see if there is anything recorded that might indicate the cause of the problem.

thanks,

Robin