Focus Assistant - crashes SharpCap 3.0 and 3.1

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Lyndengate

Focus Assistant - crashes SharpCap 3.0 and 3.1

Post by Lyndengate »

Hi
The focus assistance - Scan In/out and Go-to Best Position/Score frequently cause SharpCap to crash when I'm using 3.0.4008. and it always causes a crash when I'm using Beta 3.1.4538.0.
My camera is ASI 290 MC, the scope is Meade LX90, and the focuser is Meade Zero Shift Image Microfocuser.
I am using USB 3.0 powered hub and all cables are USB 3.0 and no longer than 1.8m
I am using the latest driver versions from ZWO and ASCOM
My laptop is a Surface Pro3 i5 8GB RAM
At this stage I've not had an issue with any other SharpCap feature/function - although I've not yet tried all of the Tools in 3.1

Could you please tell me if there is something else I should be doing/trying as it is such a really useful feature
Thanks very much for your assistance
Lyn
admin
Site Admin

Re: Focus Assistant - crashes SharpCap 3.0 and 3.1

Post by admin »

Hi Lyn,

did you get the option to send a crash report when the problem happened (and did you send the report)? I can't see any crash reports uploaded for 3.1.4538 that match your description. There *was* a focus score bug in 4538 that affected the 'Contrast Range' option, but that doesn't sound quite the same as what you are describing - anyway that bug is fixed in the latest 3.1 build.

Please re-test with the latest 3.1 build when you have a chance and submit the bug report if the option is presented to you. If not then please see if you can send me either a description or a screen capture of the crash so I can see what is going on.

thanks,

Robin
Lyndengate

Post by Lyndengate »

Hi Robin

Thanks very much for your prompt response.

No - at no stage has the option of a crash report been available. Rather, the SharpCap screen has just frozen and stayed like that until I closed SharpCap through "Task Manager". My apologies if I should have used the term "frozen" rather than "crashed".

I will download the latest 3.1 build and retry tonight if possible (I'm in Australia and its the stormy season!).

Thanks again
Lyn
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, ok, that's a shame (hangs are usually much harder to track down than crashes!!)

The best starting point is an exact description of what was going on when the program hung up. It's also a good idea to show the log window before trying to use the focus tools, then if anything does go wrong you should still be able to see the latest messages in the log window. Let me know when you have any more info.

cheers,

Robin
Lyndengate

Post by Lyndengate »

Hi Robin

Tonight I attempted numerous times to use the Focus Assistant Scan in/out feature on both 3.1.4570.0 and 3.0.4008.0 and in each case the screen froze - every time at the 1st step in Scan out with v3.1 and for v3.0 mostly at some point further into the process - in some cases at the 2nd or 3rd step of Scan out and in others right up to completion of the scan and it froze when I hit Go to Best Position.

I've not been able to attach screenshots of any of the 'hangs' for either 3.1 or 3.0 as their JPG file size of 335 KB receives "file too large" error message when I try to attach and unfortunately I do not know how to reduce the file size further.

Also, my AVAST antivirus would not permit the latest 3.1.4602.0 to be installed after download, so I was unable to test my problem on that version.

Thanks for your help
Lyn
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Lyn

Avast has history, see this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116&hilit=avast&start=10#p468

Dave
Lyndengate

Post by Lyndengate »

Thanks Dave

I've just read the Avast thread - so will now make the changes and see what happens

Lyn
Lyndengate

Post by Lyndengate »

Hi Robin

Just letting you know that the latest 3.1.4722.0 version no longer causes my screen to freeze/hang when using the Focus Assistant. I tested it first using the SharpCap simulator hardware and camera and it worked well, and then on my ASI 290 MC and Meade focuser last night with no problems at all.

So thank you very much for whatever has changed as I'm now able to use the Focus Assistant right through the Scan In/Out procedure and then for the Go To Best Position - a very useful tool

For the record, removing Avast from my laptop did not make any difference, and I had not had any success with versions up to and including 3.1.4682.0, it was only when I downloaded 3.1.4722.0 that I did not get the screen freeze.

Again, thanks very much
Lyn
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I'm glad to hear that it is working, but it is a little odd.... All that I did in 3.1.4722 is add digital signatures to the installer/binaries - no other code changes! Could it be that you have selected a smaller selection area (red box) so that there is less calculation for SharpCap to do with each new frame?

cheers,

Robin
Lyndengate

Post by Lyndengate »

No - I don't think the size of the selection area was an issue as I had tested that on a number of occasions with no change at all.

Just to note that I did not test any of the versions between 3.1.4682.0 to 3.1.4722.0 on either the simulators or my equipment, so its possible that the change I needed occurred in one of these versions.

I'm just really happy that it works now!

Cheers
Lyn