QHY294C disconnect on move ROI in Sharpcap 4.0 beta?

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
minhlead

QHY294C disconnect on move ROI in Sharpcap 4.0 beta?

Post by minhlead »

I am having the problem with Sharpcap 4.0 closes the camera connection to my QHY294C when I try to move the ROI area around.
If I choose the ROI from drop down list and keep the ROI centered as default, everything works fine, I can capture and does everything. But as soon as I try to move ROI around then the camera crashes.
I attached the log below.
Attachments
Log_2021-05-02T10_35_21-2656.log
(77.05 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY294C disconnect on move ROI in Sharpcap 4.0 beta?

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the log - it's a bit odd as the first thing that appears to go wrong is that the camera disconnects from USB (if you have sound on your PC then you would hear the chimes from Windows of a device being unplugged). Following on from that SharpCap tries to shut down the camera as gracefully as possible. The camera then reconnects almost immediately, but unfortunately it's too late by then. It almost sounds like the movement of the ROI is crashing the camera itself, causing it to disconnect and then reconnect.

I've tried the same experiment with the QHY294PROC which I have here, but don't get a problem (bin2, reduced ROI, move ROI). I think it might be best to report this one to QHY - these sort of bugs where nothing is obviously wrong with what SharpCap is doing are sometimes possible to fix if I can make it break myself (I can try different things to see if I can make the bug go away), but when I cannot make the issue happen here then I am a bit stuck for a way to proceed. One thing worth trying (depending on what you are trying to do) is to put the camera into 'still mode' rather than video mode and see if that helps - if you are aiming for lunar/solar/planetary then that is no good, but if you are intending to do longer exposures it might make a useful workaround if it helps.

Robin