Chrome causes Dropped Frames

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
donboy

Chrome causes Dropped Frames

Post by donboy »

I've been experiencing dropped frames while imaging and I put the blame on my USB 3 extension cable. Well as it turns out when I open Chrome while imaging I start getting continual dropped frames and I need to reload the camera. I also found that if I open NightSkiesNetwork for broadcasting I will also experience the same. I don't experience this with Chromium or Edge. This also happens if I'm using ASICAP and it also requires reloading the camera.

I set various cameras up indoors using a 5 foot cable a to investigate this issue. When I open Chrome I can hear the camera's fan momentarily quit and come back on and that is the start of all frames dropping. It doesn't appear to be camera or cable length dependent

I tried testing on another computer and I didn't experience any dropped frames.

So I'm at a loss as to what I can do to eliminate this issue other than not use Chrome while imaging.

Don
oopfan

Re: Chrome causes Dropped Frames

Post by oopfan »

Hi Don,

I've observed that Chrome launches several instances of a process called "software_reporter_tool.exe". I'm looking at it now on my fairly slow Pentium processor. It is consuming approximately 66% of the CPU. My recollection is that it will eventually fulfill its mission and drop the CPU load. My CPU fan just kicked on. So, my guess is that SharpCap is competing with it for CPU, with the resulting being dropped frames.

File.net says this about software_reporter_tool.exe:
The genuine software_reporter_tool.exe file is a software component of Google Chrome by Google.
Google Chrome is a crossplatform Internet browser. Software_reporter_tool.exe runs a process that scans and removes unwanted programs that may cause problems with Google Chrome. This is not an essential Windows process and can be disabled if known to create problems.
Frankly I stay away from Chrome for other reasons.

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Do you have the ZWO DirectShow driver installed? I wonder if Chrome scans for webcams when it opens and tries to connect to each one to see if it works. If the DirectShow driver is present then Chrome could end up trying to open the imaging camera via directshow and experience shows that trying to open the same camera from two different applications is a recipe for disaster...

Anyway, if you do have the ZWO direct show driver, try uninstalling it and see if anything changes.

cheers,

Robin
donboy

Post by donboy »

Thanks Robin, that fixed the issue with Chrome.

Don
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

glad it turned out to be correct - it was a bit of a wild stab in the dark to be honest!

cheers,

Robin