APT no image download when Sharpcap is launched

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
scopedopebuddy

APT no image download when Sharpcap is launched

Post by scopedopebuddy »

I ran into an issue the last two nights. When I try SHARPCAP live stacking, APT will not download the image. Sharpcap live stacking using APT capture has worked great for months, but now if I launch Sharpcap, APT download of image will not occur.

I have not updated APT or Sharpcap.

I tried new cable, new powered hub, lowered USB speed, tried usb 2.0 cable and hub. Nothing. I have no issue with image download from APT...... as long as I don't have sharpcap launched.

I think it has to be something simple that I inadvertently changed from last week to this week, but I can't figure it out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

APT Version 3.87.9
Sharpcap Pro Version 3.2.6480.0

Cheers!
admin
Site Admin

Re: APT no image download when Sharpcap is launched

Post by admin »

Hi,

A few extra questions so I can work out what is going on...

1) what camera are you using in APT?
2) what camera are you using in SharpCap?
3) Does it just have to be SharpCap open (no camera open in SharpCap) to bring APT to a halt, or does it only happen when you open the camera?

cheers,

Robin
scopedopebuddy

Post by scopedopebuddy »

Robin,

Thanks here are the answers and some more troubleshooting I have done.

ASI071 imaging camera
ASI174 guiding camera

I ensure the proper cameras are selected appropriately.

Today:

1. I set up a different folder for sharpcap to get the images. APT would download no problem and sharpcap would read from the other folder after I copied the subs to it. When I went back to sharpcap accessing the same folder, APT would not download the image into the folder. So I right clicked on the folder looked at advanced sharing and set default to the 20 users to access it. That seemed to solve the issue. HOPEFULLY.

2. I did find that if I was running the plan in APT and then launched SHARPCAP, the conflict would manifest itself again with APT not downloading the image.

So, Maybe it is something I inadvertently messed with concerning folders. I don't know. Tonight I will launch all programs first, start the plan and after the first image direct SHarpcap to the folder.

Greg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

SharpCap watches the source folder for changes when you are using the folder monitor camera, and if it spots a new image file of the right type, it will try to read it almost immediately. I wonder if APT is creating the file (perhaps empty) and then trying to write to it, but before it gets the chance, SharpCap has opened the file to try to read the contents, so APT is locked out.

I wonder if it would help if I made SharpCap delay for a few seconds before opening a newly arrived file?

cheers,

Robin