Screen Suddenly Goes White

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
js10

Screen Suddenly Goes White

Post by js10 »

What does it mean when the screen just goes completely white out of nowhere? Meaning, while it's true that I might be adjusting some of the settings such as Gain or Exposure, this doesn't happen incrementally. Again, it just suddenly goes white. Any idea why? Thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Screen Suddenly Goes White

Post by admin »

Hi,

I've seen that happen with some cameras while adjustment is going on - ie one frame will be excessively bright, but the next will be back to normal.

Is that what you are seeing, or does it go white and stay white?

cheers,

Robin
js10

Post by js10 »

No, I don't think so, and that's what worries me a bit. Once it turns white, it's hard to get it back to functioning normally again (please keep in mind that my last session was the first time I've experienced this, so I haven't gotten to play around with it too much). I actually had to close Sharpcap and restart it in order to get something appearing on my screen again.
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

I have the same with my Zwo camera when I move the slider too fast: the screen seems to get stuck and indeed only restarting SC solves it.
Maybe the same goes for you?

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I should have asked what camera you are using - also it would be worth posting a log (captured after the problem has happened) so we can see if there are any errors in the log.

thanks,

Robin
js10

Post by js10 »

It's the ZWO ASI385 -- pretty standard stuff.

I'll definitely post a log the next time I get out and it happens. I should probably know this, but how do I create the log file?

Perhaps Menno555 is right and I'm just moving the slider too fast? Certainly worth keeping in mind next time and seeing if it helps.
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Log files are created each session. You can find them here where <user> is your Windows name: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\SharpCap\logs
js10

Post by js10 »

Thanks Menno! As long as it creates them automatically, I should still have one for my previous session (when this happened), and will look for and post it later today.
js10

Post by js10 »

Okay, I located that folder. There are actually four of them for my most recent night out, but that's probably I tried exiting and then restarting Sharpcap several times for exactly this reason. I could post one of them, but I didn't realize they were so long! Is that what you want me to do? Or is there just part of it you are interested in?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

unless you can remember the time at which the problem happened, it might be best to wait until you see the problem again - with a long log and no time it's a bit hit and miss whether I will spot anything, but if I know it happened at 10:45pm, I can look in the log to see what happened at that point.

A screenshot of the whole application once the white image is showing would be useful too - sometimes that can show the problem.

cheers,

Robin