Connecting SharpCap To AP Mach 2

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
JohnAstroFun

Connecting SharpCap To AP Mach 2

Post by JohnAstroFun »

Aloha Robin,

Not sure if this is an important issue, but upon initial startup, Sharpcap connects to the camera and Mach 2 ok (and I see the coordinates in the Scope Control panel). I connect manually to the ASI 1600 camera first and then connect manually to the mount by clicking on the 'connect' option in the Scope Control Panel. I don't use any of the 'connect hardware automatically' feature

If I disconnect from the mount, wait a couple seconds, and then try to connect again, Sharpcap throws the 'exception error' (below) stating it can't connect to the mount. If I have Stellarium open and using their 'telescope control' plugin, that will also quit working. Once all of this happens, you have to disconnect the camera, shutdown Stellarium, shutdown Sharpcap, shutdown Astro Physic's APCC (to disconnect), and then reboot the laptop.

Before rebooting, I tried leaving Stellarium closed and tried re-starting Sharpcap (several times) and re-seating the usb cable on the laptop. But, that doesn't seem to free up the ascom connection.

The camera ALWAYS connects ok (no issues there)...

SharpCap Pro ver 3.2
ZWO ASI 1600 mono
Win 10 with ASCOM platform 6.4
Laptop connected to Mach 2 via Ethernet cable
No electric focuser, no electric filter wheel, no electric rotater (just me)...

Here's the initial error message that pops up in a small window and I attached the log file (in two different formats [ie notepad txt file and MS Word]), thanks ans sorry to bother you!! John

ASCOM.DriverAccessCOMException (0x80040404): The scope is not connected ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The scope is not connected
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters)
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
at System.Type.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture)
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 243
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 284
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Telescope.get_RightAscension() in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Telescope.cs:line 769
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountInterceptionProxy.get_RightAscension() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\MountInterceptionProxy.cs:line 239
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper.get_RA() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\MountWrapper.cs:line 171
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.RefreshImpl() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 192
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.Refresh() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 144
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.get_Tracking() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 130
at SharpCap.Models.Mount.set_Connected(Boolean value) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap\Models\Mount.cs:line 145
at SharpCap.Models.Application.MergeInDeviceIndependentControls(CaptureControl controls) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap\Models\Application.cs:line 801
Attachments
Log-File-In-Notepad.txt
(141.09 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Log-File-In-MS-Word.doc
(198.5 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Connecting SharpCap To AP Mach 2

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the report - I think what is happening is that the periodic refresh that SharpCap does to get the current mount position is happening (for a reason still to be worked out) during the time when you have disconnected the mount - it should stop during that time and only restart once you reconnect.

Let me see if I can make something similar happen myself (and also work out if it might already be fixed in 4.0)

thanks,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

a bit more thought on this revealed that my first guess was wrong - what has happened is that SharpCap has just asked the mount to reconnect (which must have succeeded to get as far as the log suggests). Just after reconnecting SharpCap asks the mount for its current status (RA, Dec, is it Tracking, etc - all fairly basic stuff) and the ASCOM driver responds with the 'I'm not connected' error.

Now, in the past I've seen ASCOM mounts that lie a bit when they are asked to connect - sometimes they seem to succeed, but are actually getting on with the connection in the background and get upset if you ask them anything while they are doing that background work. I don't think that makes sense in your case as the same problem would show in the first connect too (but that works fine).

Can you check that you have the most up-to-date versions of both APCC and the Mach2 Ascom driver (and for good measure the ASCOM platform). Best to do that before we start digging into an issue that just might be fixed by an upgrade.

cheers,

Robin
JohnAstroFun

Post by JohnAstroFun »

Aloha Robin,

Yeah I agree, no sense to chase this yet!!

I do have the latest AP V2 ascom mount driver installed (v5.30.10) and the latest apcc pro software installed (v1.8.8.13). But I still have ascom platform 6.4 installed. A couple months ago there was a problem with (and a hold put on) ascom platform 6.5 (at least for AP mounts) I don't remember if the hold was for ascom platform 6.5 or 6.5 SP1. It appears ascom platform 6.5SP1 is the latest and greatest, so I'll have to double check and see if that one is ok to install. I didn't see any warning on the AP website "not" to install 6.5SP1...

The only reason why I came across the connect error, is that I have to use the ascom asi camera (1) driver to get access to setting the camera's offset. Then disconnect from that driver and reconnect to the zso asi 1600 camera driver to do the FWHM focus assistant. I don't think the focus assistant works with the ascom asi camera (1) or (2) driver. I would have to double check that (I always get the two mixed up)

I'm not sure when I'll get around to installing the ascom platform 6.5SP1 (it it's ok to install that is).

So I was thinking the best thing for me, is to first bounce around between the camera drivers and then just connect to the mount LAST. I think I tested that already and it worked. No worries and no big deal, and I'll report back once I get the 6.5SP1 installed. Thanks!!

John
JohnAstroFun

Post by JohnAstroFun »

Aloha Robin,

I just installed the ascom platform 6.5 SP1 and still seeing the same thing. Also, I don't have to reboot to get connected to the mount again in Sharpcap. Just disconnecting everything in APCC, restarting APCC (which connects to the driver again), and then starting Sharpcap agaion allows me to connect to the mount.

I did re-test my workaround and that still works. In other words, I can connect and disconnect between all the various camera drivers as many times as I want and don't have any problems connecting to the mount (as long as I can connect to it last)...

I don't really see a need to connect to the mount until I have the camera focused and then ready to plate solve. Probably not worth trouble shooting, thanks!!

John
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi John,

ok, I'll go with the idea of not worrying about this one for now!

clear skies :)

Robin