ASI6200mm disconnecting

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Ray Hansen

ASI6200mm disconnecting

Post by Ray Hansen »

I replaced two USB hubs that have been working fine (except in the colder weather we have here in the high desert) with a Pegasus USB hub. I connected an ASI120mm and an ASI6200mm to the hub, and connected the ASI6200mm in Sharpcap. Operation to that point was normal. I then connected an SX filter wheel to the hub. At that point, I made an exposure value change in Sharpcap, and the camera then disconnected. I've done this several times and the behavior is repeatable. I've attached a Sharpcap log for reference. I have to assume the Pegasus is somehow the root cause. Any advice will be appreciated.
Attachments
Log_2021-03-07T19_34_19-37128.log
(36.22 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASI6200mm disconnecting

Post by admin »

Hi Ray,

is everything fully powered? By that I mean have you got a 12V supply to the camera and a 5V (or whatever it takes) supply to the hub?

It does sound a bit like it could be a power issue - not enough to run the camera fully now that the filter wheel is taking a share, but I would have thought that the pegasus hub would be powered.

From the log I can see that the hub seems to disconnect from the computer at 19:36:12 and the camera is lost a second or so later. The hub then reconnects and the camera does too, but by then the damage is done. If you had a speaker on the computer you would have heard Windows doing its 'beep boop' and 'boop beep' for devices being removed then added.

This is looking very much like a hardware issue - probably best to pass the details on to the Pegasus guys.

cheers,

Robin
Ray Hansen

Post by Ray Hansen »

I also thought the hub was the most likely issue, but the Pegasus contact was adamant they could not be at fault. They're just a pass through point.
So this morning I connected the ASI6200mm directly to the dell laptop, and got the same problem. I tried four different cables. Another log is attached. I'll wait for your reply and may experiment further.
Attachments
Log_2021-03-08T11_00_17-5192.log
(31.03 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Ray Hansen

Post by Ray Hansen »

Hi Robin,
I metered the adapter plug and its way low. Enough to get the led on but no more. I hooked it up to a Powerwerx supply and its running just fine now. If I find anything else I will let you know. Thanks for your help.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That was the PSU for the camera that was too low yes? I've seen some reports of these cameras only working partly with no 12V power, so not surprising that you can also get issues if the 12V power is not really 12V.

Some manufacturers are now designing the cameras to *require* 12V power before they show up as a USB device - this is probably sensible if the camera can't work reliably on USB power alone.

cheers,

Robin
Ray Hansen

Post by Ray Hansen »

The camera PSU yes.