QHY268c exposure never times out.

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
DiligentSkies

QHY268c exposure never times out.

Post by DiligentSkies »

Hello Robin,

It been a very frustrating past few weeks.
A hardware failure coupled with some type of bug issue with SharpCap's latest version.

I did determine my first QHY268c camera's cooler had failed. It is out for repairs.
I was never happy about, "How this first camera was cooling."
Now I know why? It was defective right out of the box and, "It was just a matter of time before it failed."

However, the replacement camera would connect, it just would not exposure timeout.

Giving my earlier problems. My mindset was, "It had to be the USB3.0 cable or that my USB3.0 hub on laptop was to blame."

I solved the problem by uninstalling SharpCap and reinstalling SharpCap 3.2.6448.
The very first version of SharpCap that I had installed.

The problem went away completely. I still had lag issues of looping through an exposure duration or two.
But the camera eventually settled down and started to provide image subs.

However, when I update to 3.2.6480
The problem returns.
The QHY268c just would not exposure time out.

I am going to do a detailed trial and error of uninstalling and reinstalling of versions between 3.2.6480 and 3.2.6448.
To identify what is the highest version above 3.2.6448 that works.

So, unfortunately, "There is some type of issue going on."
This problem has all the appearance and behavior that a bad software component has crept into a version update bundle at some point.

A crossed wire so to speak with some bad compiled component that is bundled into an update or an *.inf file setting that is incorrect and registering bad data in the window's registry.

Again, I will report back with my findings of, "What is the earliest version that introduces the exposure never timing out issue?"

Sincerely,
Mark
DiligentSkies

Re: QHY268c exposure never times out.

Post by DiligentSkies »

Hello Robin,
Just unstalled SharpCap 3.2.6448 and installed version 3.2.6477.
No problems, the QHY268c worked fine.
The issue/bug is with 3.2.6480.
Hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,
Mark
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mark,

that's interesting, since there were only 3 changes between the two versions - fixing a start-up crash that could happen in rare circumstances, updating the Altair SDK and updating the QHY SDK.

My conclusion then is that sadly QHY introduced this problem in the February SDK update :(

For now, I'd stick with 6477, but it might also be a good idea to post on their support forums.

Cheers, Robin
paulgdodd

Post by paulgdodd »

Hi,

I just updated to the latest version of SharpCap and exactly the same problem for me with my QHY268C. In addition, I have not updated the QHY SDK to the February version. So the only thing that changed for me is the version of SharpCap. Also, I switched to my ZWO ASI120MM Mini GuideCam and the same problem occurs. I haven't yet tried downgrading to SharpCap 3.2.6477.

Thanks,

Paul
paulgdodd

Post by paulgdodd »

A quick update... Reverting to 3.2.6477 *does* resolve the problem. Both cameras now work again - so the problem isn't related to the QHY SDK as it the same thing happens with both QHY and ZWO cameras.